Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Under Development ......................
« Reply #105 on: 10/03/2013 at 13:25 »
Great stuff Lasse :z16

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #106 on: 10/03/2013 at 18:02 »
That's a very long way Lasse, nice casting!!

I've definitely still got some work to do!

Any idea what the wind strength was?

Cheers

Ben

Hamish Young

« Reply #107 on: 10/03/2013 at 18:11 »
Any idea what the wind strength was?

Max says.....

And I think he was probably right  :wink

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #108 on: 10/03/2013 at 18:24 »
Max says.....

And I think he was probably right  :wink

Indeed:

Just been out in a good howling tailwind and put a meter on my PB with the seatrout distance outfit  :z13

Cheers
Lasse

About twice as much as I had when I threw a meter shorter  :X1
The weather people said 11 m/s  :wink

Cheers
Lasse

Hamish Young

« Reply #109 on: 10/03/2013 at 18:33 »
The weather people said 11 m/s  :wink

Around 25 mph or between a force 5 or 6 on the beaufort scale.
Windy.

H :cool:

Andrew Parker

« Reply #110 on: 30/04/2013 at 12:15 »
euro-nymphing in it's strictest sense, is/was never about casting size 20 dry flies but teams of very heavy tungsten-filled nymphs. it's much closer to lure/spinning/whatever where the the weight at the tip (flies) pulls the line. this doesn't leave much possibilities for loops, therefore the lobbing.

as far as nymphing is concerned, basically the confusion stems from many people hybridizing different methods while calling them french, czech or whatever. i of course have no problems with myself or others mixing methods, it's the spice of life but let's be real, we're not nymphing if we're casting dry flies...

cheers,
marc

Not sure I can let you get away with the term "Euro-nymphying" Marc. Thought that is a term only 'mericans use?

I understand the term "French nymphing" was introduced to the UK by competitors who had taken part in the CEFF World Flyfishing Championship, held in France in 2002. (The French won the World's in four consecutive years around that time.) It was the name given to the winning tactic for the French team that year: used for winkling super-spooky fish out of skinny, clear water.

It can be grouped with "Czech nymphing" (or Polish nymphing as the Poles would have it) only as a flyfishing technique, first observed in competition, and named (in English at least) after the team who won the competition using the tactic. You probably know the English love naming things after other nationalities, usually disparagingly e.g. Dutch courage; French letter. In the case of these nymphing techniques the English competitors were blown-away by the techniques they had witnessed.

As for the unchallenged statement about "lobbing". Like any other form of flycasting, casting a team of heavy nymphs it is all about maintaining tension throughout the system, and to do it well even involves fishing the drift to a downstream position where the current will establish tension (let's not mention water tension tho'). If the definition of casting a fly is: "casting an effectively weightless artificial fly using a weighted line", then heavy nymphing does not conform.

Well made long or French leaders can be "cast" ... and I've been out and done it this morning without any tungsten. Using 6 metre hand tied (not by me) leader on both my 6'6" #2 and 10'0" #4 with little or no flyline outside of the rod tip. Again it might confuse the definitions police, but whilst there was negligible weight, there was a loop ... of course, a well-controlled loop because I was behind it  :z7.

Enjoy Strathdon!

All the best, Andrew

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #111 on: 30/04/2013 at 21:04 »
Hi Andrew

Any piece of string can be cast with a loop   :)

What Marc is getting at is that very few people cast a leader with a controlled loop and a heavy weighted fly, most lob it....

Cheers
Lasse

Mike Barrio

« Reply #112 on: 18/06/2013 at 17:18 »
Having fun with the double handed lines :z12

Allan Liddle

« Reply #113 on: 18/06/2013 at 17:44 »
Cracking pic Mike  :z16

Euan Innes

« Reply #114 on: 10/08/2013 at 22:55 »
Mike,
Any news on when the salmon lines might see the light of day?
I've had a look round at what else is out there and I need the old Barrio value pack.
I like Mackenzie shooting heads, really like, but knowing you the lines will be as cool and less coin.
So, come on Mike, when, when, when???
Might need a #9 soon  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

:z1

Mike Barrio

« Reply #115 on: 12/08/2013 at 12:24 »
Hi Euan :cool:

I'm very pleased with the line profiles, these are ready to go, we just need to put more hours in on the water with them before I can produce the retail stock :z16

Cheers
Mike

Euan Innes

« Reply #116 on: 12/08/2013 at 14:56 »
Well get back on the water Mike and stop faffing about on the forum!  :z7

Excellent news Mike. Looking forward to trying these lines.
(guess who's got the salmon bug again)

:z1

Hamish Young

« Reply #117 on: 12/08/2013 at 19:22 »
guess who's got the salmon bug again

Kev ???  :z13

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com