Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Alex Burnett

Re: Under Development ......................
« Reply #90 on: 16/02/2013 at 13:34 »

euro-nymphing in it's strictest sense, is much closer to lure/spinning

it's like comparing elephants and shoe-laces...   ZX2

Sorry Marc could not resist  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Alex

Loxiafan

« Reply #91 on: 16/02/2013 at 16:31 »
...but let's be real, we're not nymphing if we're casting dry flies...

"drymphing" ?  :wink

I agree. You may be using a "French Leader", but that doesn't mean you are "French Nymphing" ! Maybe that boy Jez is right to call it "Leader To Hand" afterall ? :z8 I still say the limitations of casting (conventionally) are as per my post yesterday so I still want my Barrio #0 and #1 if it is all the same !  :z4

Lindsay (er, does anyone need some white powder ?)

PS I find that using my completely reduntant CDC Gel/Oil to lubricate my rod rings gives excellent "shoot" whilst using LTH technique and boy does the line float  :X2

Mike Barrio

Re: Under Development ...................... New
« Reply #92 on: 16/02/2013 at 16:46 »
Hi Lindsay,

I might struggle to get a 0#, or a #1 on the core that we use, but I have a #2 on order at the factory.

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #93 on: 16/02/2013 at 18:41 »

PS I find that using my completely reduntant CDC Gel/Oil to lubricate my rod rings gives excellent "shoot"

Anything that requires ring lubrication is not for me

Peter McCallum

« Reply #94 on: 16/02/2013 at 18:55 »

:shock :X2 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #95 on: 16/02/2013 at 19:12 »

Easy for you to say, I have to take all the help I can get  :oops  :z4.......with ROD rings.....actually, that doesn't sound any better ! :z6

Shame about the core Mike, a #2 might do but I am tempted to try a 0# Rio, see if I can cast it all of 10 yards.....just need 75 sheets  :shock

L

Loxiafan

« Reply #96 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:35 »
but I have a #2 on order at the factory.

Cheers Mike,

OOI what line are you doing the #2 in ?

Cheers,

Lindsay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #97 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:43 »
Hi Lindsay,

I have Mallard DT2F lines on order at the moment.

Loxiafan

« Reply #98 on: 18/02/2013 at 23:51 »
Nice !  :z16 Olive colour ? !  :wink

Might be nice on a #3 Streamflex that....

Lindsay

Korrie Broos

« Reply #99 on: 09/03/2013 at 08:35 »
I will try to get Korrie Broos to come on and explain...but I can assure you you can lob a
size 22 midge pattern, as I have said I have done it & caught fish.

The technique is to place your thumb along the top of the handle & imagine there is a small 1" ring
on top of you rod "where a hook holder would go but on the opposite side" & you have to put your
thumb through the hole. Very much a wrist action & using the drag on the fly as it goes behind you
to add tension, bit like forming a "D" with a double hander.

Hope that sounds less complicated to you guys than it does to me reading it back.

Alex

Hi
When Alex fished with me in the Cape, I showed/taught/explained some techniques and casts to him.
The majority was shown to me by friends I have in the Czech, Italian and French fly fishing teams over the years. Some were "secrets" a couple of years ago.
I think the short cast that Alex is refering to is where we fish only the leaders up to 18 foot in the Cape, due to the loads of pocket water and small riffle and runs we have in the Cape. You need to alter the casting strokes and fast rods are not the easiest to fish with in this style. If you are use to casting a fly line to load the rod, it is not easy, to get the fly out and to land where you want it to land. When nymphing, you use a techinque very similar to a roll cast. To get some load on the rod and to get the fly to land where you want to. With dry fly, you need to alter your casting stroke completely.
The sketch of a Czech French nymph leader, (40 feet in total) Posted by Alex, was developed by a Cz angler. This is to cast to very spooky fish in clear slow water. It works very well with a team of nymphs or dry fly. Again, it is a different casting stroke, and much slower. You can cast direct to the fish, without fly lines landing on the water etc. The Traditional French leader is used, with a special/different cast, and using the fly line, approaching the fish from diagonally behind,  where you would cast a VERY BIG upstream mend into the leader/tippet section. The fly will approach the fish, with no tippet over the fish. giving you a very long down stream drag free drift.
The Czech fly fishers have developed a cast that replaces the bow and arrow cast. for using it up to double the rod lenght away from you. I call it the "Fly swat" cast. It is used with weighted nymphs only, NOT DRY FLY. you hold the rod horizontal to the water, or at a slight incline. the leader is held parralel to the rod, WITH NO TENSION ON THE ROD!!!!!!. The fly rod is used as you would use a fly swatter, swatting a fly on a table. as your fly swat will strike the table, the same action is used on the fly rod, you let go of the weighted nymph. The weighted nymph, moves in a STRAIGHT LINE, along the fly rod, and lands in the water. Done correctly, the accurancy is fantastic, this requires a bit of practice, but a very useful cast, if you fish in tight areas/spots.
I hope I have answered all the questions that might have arisen out of Alex's post. Regards. Korrie

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #100 on: 09/03/2013 at 19:07 »
For those of you that made 27g sea trout distance heads from the GT140, please note that this doesn't work with the new GT125 in my experience.

Don't panick :shock ...... Coming soon ..... the new Barrio ST27 :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Hi Mike

I hope those heads are as good as the GT140 cuts  :wink

Just been out in a good howling tailwind and put a meter on my PB with the seatrout distance outfit  :z13

Guess it's time for a new measuring tape again  :X2

Cheers
Lasse

Mike Barrio

« Reply #101 on: 09/03/2013 at 20:37 »
Great stuff Lasse :z16

Yes, I hope you like them ... we are certainly getting on better with the prototype ST27 heads than we did with the GT140 cuts :cool:

Cheers
Mike

PS: Awesome avatar!

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #102 on: 09/03/2013 at 21:46 »
Hi Mike

Thanks  :z16

Cheers
Lasse

Ps. My measuring tape is 60  :z7

Mike Barrio

« Reply #103 on: 10/03/2013 at 10:56 »
Hi Korrie,
Great to hear from you! :z16

Hi Lasse,
Yes, you need a new one, 60 ft is not really long enough! :z4

Hi Lindsay.
Olive Mallard DT2F is now available :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Lasse Karlsson

« Reply #104 on: 10/03/2013 at 12:26 »

Hi Lasse,
Yes, you need a new one, 60 ft is not really long enough! :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Yeah I know, I just like it when I can cast to the end of it  :X4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com