Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Under Development ......................
« Reply #75 on: 14/02/2013 at 16:48 »
A topic about fly lines ... and we discuss not using one ... I love it :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #76 on: 14/02/2013 at 16:55 »
I did not start it :X2

Noel Kelly

« Reply #77 on: 14/02/2013 at 17:12 »
Still need a fly line to pack out the reel Mike! Don't want nasty coils on your 60ft leader now do you.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #78 on: 14/02/2013 at 17:46 »
Still need a fly line to pack out the reel Mike! Don't want nasty coils on your 60ft leader now do you.

and everybody will want theirs to be a different colour :z4  :z4  :z4

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #79 on: 14/02/2013 at 18:59 »
A topic about fly lines ... and we discuss not using one ... I love it :z4  :z4  :z4

Cheers
Mike
:z4 :z4 :z4    :z18

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #80 on: 14/02/2013 at 19:01 »

that's where silk lines excel...  :X2  :z8 :z2 :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #81 on: 14/02/2013 at 20:00 »
I hope I don't meet any of you new generation faux fly fishermen on the river this year with your Jan Smedvig or Hercule Tzandek methods 'cos I'm gonna cast my 22gram Dubrovnik spinner on a 92 feet level leader right over your 14' 1 wt full flex Streambreak rods.

Darius Mepplob

Iain Goolager

« Reply #82 on: 14/02/2013 at 20:05 »
On a serious note I'm looking forward to leader to reel nymphing and dry fly fishing this season but not at the expense of the fish that require a traditional set up due to nature of expansive sections of the Don.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #83 on: 15/02/2013 at 09:22 »
I will try to get Korrie Broos to come on and explain...but I can assure you you can lob a
size 22 midge pattern, as I have said I have done it & caught fish.

Hmmmm...surely you are "lobbing" the weight of the leader?

I would be interested to see the technique though as when broken down, I cannot see any difference between French Laeader techniques and Tenkara.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #84 on: 15/02/2013 at 13:19 »
I cannot see any difference between French Laeader techniques and Tenkara.

it's like comparing elephants and shoe-laces...   ZX2

Alex Burnett

« Reply #85 on: 15/02/2013 at 14:16 »

:z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #86 on: 15/02/2013 at 14:33 »
With the Fish On 'French Leaders' you can cast them 'like' a fly line, it is maybe not exactly the same and Ben et al may well cringe (!), but the leader does 'turn over' (with a dry). You can also 'lob' them. These are tapered (knotted) mono leaders. You can see my hero JT demonstrate this on his last River Academy Doov:d.

The disadvantage or flaw in this mono 'technique' as I see it, and as can be seen in the link to the vid I posted on LTH last year on another thread, is that the bottom of the forward loop often touches down well before the end of the leader turns over meaning there is surface tension (drag) on the mono before the fly lands - not a huge problem I guess. Presumably this is all caused by the 'wrong physics' - most of the weight is there in the bottom of the forward loop and the top of the loop does not have enough weight or inertia to adequately overtake (?) the bottom loop. Probably talking pish here...

On suggesting the "Whisper" type lines I acknowledged that, as Marc raised, these would be more prone to surface drag, but also that they would have more weight and inertia to turn over a leader and fly at (resonable) distance, the 'killing zone', whilst still remaining 'stealthy'. It was Jeremy Lucas that pondered whether such lines in the Rio LT Trout range may have a place in LTH type applications. Given that the main advantage of using a mono leader in FN style in UK is apparently to minimize drag, perhaps such Rio lines don't work.......though presumably being thinner and lighter they maybe they would ??

I also agree fully with IA that expansive sections of the Don will be uselss for any of these techniques, especially when the wind blows, fish lying tight in to your bank (all my best fish last season were caught 1-10 feet from bank) etc etc. My river fly lines will never be reduntant unlike JL.

Lindsay (NE Scotland Agent for Ferrets Pheromone)

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #87 on: 15/02/2013 at 14:42 »

http://looptackledesigneng.wordpress.com/2010/12/08/loop-team-member-sean-cassidy-on-french-nymphing/
http://www.tenkarabum.com/

Long rod - Check
Sensitive tip - Check
Light rod - Check
Long Leader - Check
Tapered Leader - Check
Heavy butt - Check
Fished upstream and across - Check
Flies allowed to drift downstream before being lifted off - Check

Yep..totally different. If one wants to add several ounces to the outfit by sticking a reel on it and saying its a completely different method, be my guest :)

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #88 on: 16/02/2013 at 08:53 »
hi Rob,
what's missing on your list is the presentation technique: the casting

tenkara is just another fly rod. nothing more, nothing less.
the line is attached to the rod tip and there is no reel but otherwise casting and fly presentation is exactly the same as with 'conventional' modern kit.
 the line/leader's mass is used to pull the flies behind and the goal is to form loops on the back and front casts.

euro-nymphing in it's strictest sense, is/was never about casting size 20 dry flies but teams of very heavy tungsten-filled nymphs. it's much closer to lure/spinning/whatever where the the weight at the tip (flies) pulls the line. this doesn't leave much possibilities for loops, therefore the lobbing.

as far as nymphing is concerned, basically the confusion stems from many people hybridizing different methods while calling them french, czech or whatever. i of course have no problems with myself or others mixing methods, it's the spice of life but let's be real, we're not nymphing if we're casting dry flies...

cheers,
marc

Iain Goolager

« Reply #89 on: 16/02/2013 at 11:46 »
It's closer to lure fishing / spinning!!!!!!

Marc,

You have just made me very sad, I'm off for a lie down.

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com