Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

flyfisher666

Re: Under Development ......................
« Reply #15 on: 20/11/2012 at 19:18 »
I'm using something along those ideas already. The one iv'e got is a prototype from ?loop?. It is good,but could be better I think (a bit short (16m) and a bit to much backtaper (2-3m)).
 Being a compline it doesn't need much weight in the front (no fly to turn over and either no wind or tailwind as thats how the lanes "should" be oriented).
 I think the fronttaper helps to keep the loop "alive" (decreasing mass - heavier line turning over lighter line)
 Backtaper just to smooth out overhang effects.
 Length is a personal preference - some wants longer heads, some shorter. With the elevation I mostly use, I don't  want the head to be more then 17m.

//Joakim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #16 on: 20/11/2012 at 20:08 »
Hi Joakim,

I thought most of you guys were using heads chopped from GT140's for sea trout distance, this has the opposite profile to what you are describing here, i.e most of the weight at the front with a long rear taper? I'm confused  :z4

The prototype DH15 head has given me some truly awesome distances on my MacKenzie DTX G2 15'er.  I haven't even tried to overhead cast it but it would be over the weight limit at a sensible length for overhead work.  The cut I have just now is 63.6 grams at 74' and the production line should allow sufficient adjustment for most 15' rods used in the Spey comps.

Really pleased with the way this one is flying  :cool:

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #17 on: 20/11/2012 at 20:48 »

The prototype DH15 head has given me some truly awesome distances on my MacKenzie DTX G2 15'er.  

Really pleased with the way this one is flying  :cool:

Cheers

Ben

Certainly was flying on Sunday Ben  :shock

flyfisher666

« Reply #18 on: 20/11/2012 at 21:45 »
 Hi Ben!

Some guys use chopped GT140's, some chopped MED #7-8's, mill end DT's and Zpey make a comphead for seatrout dist.
 I haven't tried Zpey's line as it seems a bit too long for me.
 The gt140 is a great line unchopped, but without the mass in the runningline I have trouble keeping the loop "alive" -> it collapses.
 I think the idea with "frontheavy" longbellies (MED and others) originally was to counter the mass of the runningline and prolong the loops "lifetime". When the runningline is replaced with mono shootingline (much lighter) one ends up with the opposite reaction -> the loop ?stalls?   
 But perhaps a reversible head is worth exploring?

In Salmon distance (15' OH) I'm using a homemade head. Currently it contains bits from at least tree different lines...
 The taper is similar to that I proposed for seatrout distance, only longer and heavier. It is ok to spey with, a bit on the light side though and for spey I would put more of the weight in the rear.

In the 15' spey event i'm using a nextcast champ cut back to approx. 72ft. Really good line when there is no or little waves and a good tailwind. When there are waves about I borrow a friends line (TSD spey by Tellis Katsogiannis) cut back to about 70ft. The TSD is much easier to lift when it's a bit wavy.

//Joakim

Mike Barrio

Re: Under Development ...................... New
« Reply #19 on: 20/11/2012 at 22:24 »
Interesting stuff Joakim :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #20 on: 20/11/2012 at 23:10 »

The gt140 is a great line unchopped, but without the mass in the runningline I have trouble keeping the loop "alive" -> it collapses.

I have the same problem, it flies better reversed for me when it is cut but, when reversed the loop propagates too quick and it dumps but this could be my technique, hauling through rsp1 etc.  Although I fish with them, heads are not my thing really.

In the 15' spey event i'm using a nextcast champ cut back to approx. 72ft. Really good line when there is no or little waves and a good tailwind. When there are waves about I borrow a friends line (TSD spey by Tellis Katsogiannis) cut back to about 70ft. The TSD is much easier to lift when it's a bit wavy.

Know what you mean about pulling a long head out of the waves, I take it there is more weight at the back of the TSD than there is at the nack of the Nextcast?  I think you'll like the DH15, should be out well before but I will have one at the Pitea open in June.

Cheers

Ben

flyfisher666

« Reply #21 on: 21/11/2012 at 22:20 »
... I take it there is more weight at the back of the TSD than there is at the nack of the Nextcast?  ....

That could be a part of it. The other part being the density of the lines. I think TSD floats higher.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 24/11/2012 at 21:37 »
"But perhaps a reversible head is worth exploring?" Interesting idea Joakim, I've played with that in the past :z16

How do the popular head lengths vary over there? From - to? Which lengths are better in which conditions?

I have my own ideas on this obviously, but it is always good to know what other folk are thinking and the problem with these heads is that everybody seems to want something different?

flyfisher666

« Reply #23 on: 25/11/2012 at 00:39 »
Shortest I've seen used in a comp was about 15m, longest roughly 21m. But I think most use heads that are 16-19m.

Longer heads when no or very little wind.

People seem to use shorter heads the harder it blows. I guess partly because a longer head is harder to turn over in the backcast when there is a strong tailwind. For me it is mostly because a long head restricts the higher elevation(low BC/high FC) I want to use then.

//Joakim 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 25/11/2012 at 22:58 »
Good feedback and ideas thanks :z16

I will continue to put more thought into this over the next few weeks :cool:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 26/11/2012 at 20:55 »
Casting prototype heads at Haddo today :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #26 on: 26/11/2012 at 23:17 »
Good fun today  :z16

Think I've got that sea trout head thing sussed  :wink will get out and have another play with it this week.  15' heads flying well too.

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 27/11/2012 at 10:33 »
Hi Joakim,

What would be a good distance for the sea trout 27g head event with little or no tail wind?

Cheers

Ben

flyfisher666

« Reply #28 on: 27/11/2012 at 17:03 »
In no wind anything beyond 40m is good, but it takes a very light breeze to put >5m to that.

At Nordic Open last year we had no wind and the results reflects this.

//Joakim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #29 on: 27/11/2012 at 18:50 »
Cheers Joakim!

What's the record for this event or the longest throw you know of?

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com