Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

danbruce

Single leg guides or snake guides?
« on: 04/11/2012 at 21:38 »
Ok so having already picked out a blank (10' 8", 7wt, Batson Rx7, switch) and handle assembly for my first build i have been looking into what else i will need for my build. Thing is i can't decide on single leg guides or snake guides?

I have single leg guides on my 3wt but snake guides on everything else. Are single leg guides only for lighter rods? Or can they be used on heavier rods?

And what are the pros and cons for either? effect on the rod blank? And would one be easierto use than the other for a first build?

Cheers

Dan

Rob Brownfield

Re: Single leg guides or snake guides?
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/2012 at 23:32 »
Singles all the way...and that is what is recommended for that blank by Batson.

Less epoxy means less tip weight for starters, and a bonus is that you only have half the whipping/epoxying to do :)

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2012 at 23:39 »
Hi Dan,

I agree with Rob, hadn't even considered it from the less work point.  The less mass on the upper 3rd of the rod the better, to test this for yourself go stick a few large lumps of blu tack on the top 2' of your usual trout rod (tip in particular) and go cast it.  Only downside with single leg (non recoil) guides is that they are more fragile and susceptible to breakage than snakes.  A full set of REC guides for that build would probably cost as much as the blank though.

Cheers

Ben

danbruce

« Reply #3 on: 04/11/2012 at 23:50 »
Cheers Rob and Ben,

Was hoping the answer was going to be single leg guides. Only having to worry about half the whipping and epoxy is appealing.
Is there any difference between American guide ring sizes and uk ones? Sure I read a post on here that mentioned that?
Don't want to be buying a set of guides that are not fit for the job.

Cheers
Dan

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 05/11/2012 at 08:59 »
Dan

I'd echo all that :z16, Magnus and I did a load of research years ago into the differences, building the same blank over and over again with different rings. There is little static difference but the lighter we made the ringing set-up on the top 2 sections the nicer the rod felt to cast.
Since then i use nothing but single leg light recoils and they are great and not that expensive in the grand scheme of things, don't use recoil tip rings though they are pants and don't last very long :z10, the Hopkins and Holloway Round eye tips are shorter and lighter than hayforks and last way longer than Recoil tips. The single legs will last for ages (longer than standard Chrome ones)

Check your ringing pattern for the blank, Then use a size 2 for the ring nearest the tip, as the pattern changes go up one size in line with the pattern, if you see what i mean.

eg if the pattern is 1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1/0, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3
then use..................2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4 ,4, 5

This is the correct sizes for using single leg light recoils :z16

if you have problems send me what you think the pattern is and i can adjust it to suit the rings you choose, i've tried all sorts and have the conversions written down in my wee book :wink

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 05/11/2012 at 09:33 »
Or go onto the Batson website which gives you the correct single leg sizes and spaces for that blank ;)

danbruce

« Reply #6 on: 05/11/2012 at 09:41 »
Hi Rob,

Have been on the website and have downloaded a PDF with spacings and guides types and sizes they recommend. Trouble is the part number of the guide that is on the PDF is a snake guide. And there seem to be a fair difference in the size of equivalent single leg guide, just want to make sure if I go for single leg guides that I am getting the right sizes.

Cheers,

Dan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 05/11/2012 at 11:47 »
Hi Rob,

Have been on the website and have downloaded a PDF with spacings and guides types and sizes they recommend. Trouble is the part number of the guide that is on the PDF is a snake guide. And there seem to be a fair difference in the size of equivalent single leg guide, just want to make sure if I go for single leg guides that I am getting the right sizes.

Cheers,

Dan

Hmmm..strange, I will see if I can find the one I downloaded...ring sizes were for single leggers. I must have somewhere.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com