Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Andy.X.

fishing at Boddam
« on: 24/04/2007 at 19:51 »
my cousin has just moved out their and we were havivg a look around.There's a lovely little harbour and round the corner in a little bay there's a water out flow from the power station that had a couple of young guys fishing.
What  i would like is some info on the type of fish we would cath there and the best baits and methods.
cheers.

PDScott

fishing at Boddam
« Reply #1 on: 24/04/2007 at 22:13 »
Several years have passed since I fished off the North Breakwater but in these days dabs and plaice were the most popular catches and these were caught on rag-worm dug from the beach opposite the Lido. I have kept in touch with several guys who are still members of the local club and they tell me that the warm-water outflow from the Power-Station has attracted bass in the past, and they have also caught turbot off the beach at St. Fergus. There are also marks South of Peterhead which allow access to water level, which might be worth investigating for trying fly-fishing especially when the mackeral are close in. The tackle shop on Ugie Road (Hook, Line and Sinker) should be a good source of information.
Tight lines
Peter

Iain Cameron

Re: fishing at Boddam
« Reply #2 on: 25/04/2007 at 09:19 »
Quote from: "Andy.X."
my cousin has just moved out their and we were havivg a look around.There's a lovely little harbour and round the corner in a little bay there's a water out flow from the power station that had a couple of young guys fishing.
What  i would like is some info on the type of fish we would cath there and the best baits and methods.
cheers.

have a look at
http://www.silver-city-angling.com/pages/localinfo/places/phpowerst.htm

not much info on species/methods, but does mention that the bay might attract bass.

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

fishing at Boddam
« Reply #3 on: 25/04/2007 at 09:30 »
The outflow does attract Bass, but schoolies, so they are well under the legal size limit..so if he does go there, please ask him to return what is a very rare fish in these parts.

There are also Mullet there in small numbers.

The breakwater can produce Cod, Ling, Rockling, Mackeral, Congers and all manor of flat fish :)

Andy.X.

fishing at Boddam
« Reply #4 on: 25/04/2007 at 19:43 »
thanks for that guys.
its gonna be a bit of fun and a day out anyway.
i looking forward to it.

Rob Brownfield

fishing at Boddam
« Reply #5 on: 26/04/2007 at 09:23 »
I forgot to say, I fished the fly off the breakwater, trying to get a Mackeral..ended up with a 4 pound Cod!! :)

PDScott

fishing at Boddam
« Reply #6 on: 26/04/2007 at 19:21 »
Andy,
Have you considered Braeside fishery on the hill overlooking Boddam? Not sea-fishing, but it may be of some interest to you if you are in the area - details from Mike's Haddo website.
All the best
Peter

Andy.X.

fishing at Boddam
« Reply #7 on: 26/04/2007 at 21:30 »
cheers for that PD,
me and my cousin are quite keen on the fly fishing and its good to find there's a loch near by. so when i go there we can check out Braeside and when he comes over to mine he gets to try out Midmar or Mossat.
its always fine to know.

postie

fishing at Boddam
« Reply #8 on: 27/04/2007 at 18:19 »
Try Fedderate Reservoir just past waukmill it is great and is value for £10 a day[/u]

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com