Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

A 3 hour session produced....
« on: 27/10/2012 at 20:23 »
.... 12 Pike :) I lost another 6 after they shook the hook. Been a while since I have been able to find a water with any Pike left!!

Nothing huge, but fun all the same. Small, white flies were the killers this time, my version of a deceiver dressed on 2600 hooks.

Makes a change to get out fishing!

Iain Goolager

Re: A 3 hour session produced....
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2012 at 22:05 »
Cool Rob  :z16

Sounds like a great time was had.

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 29/10/2012 at 10:52 »
It was nice to be out again :) And nice to see that not all the fish have been killed.

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #3 on: 30/10/2012 at 03:24 »
Rob,

This is one of 7 Catfish that my 3 hours of fishing produced on Sunday.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 30/10/2012 at 12:12 »
Show off!!..lol

That Red Tail would be wouth about £1500 to the aquarium trade..lol  :z14

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: 31/10/2012 at 03:26 »
Haha,

I thought you would appreciate it Rob.  :z16

I am massively under gunned with my 6# but it's the only option I have until my Dad comes over in January so I will stick with it for now but I did lose a 15kg+ Arapaima that I couldn't get any control over.  :z19

It's by no means the most picturesque fishing in the world but beings as it is only 30 mins drive from the house, I will definitely be back again soon.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 31/10/2012 at 10:14 »
I have a lovely 10 weight Greys Esox fly rod for sale that would be perfect for them...lol

Where abouts are you? I am guessing somewhere in Thailand?

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: 01/11/2012 at 02:06 »
Lol, I just got Ben's 9# helios which my Dad is taking over for me in January.  That she see me alright for throwing some bigger things at them.  :z16

Not Thailand but not a million miles away.  I'm still living in KL Malaysia (if memory serves me correctly you lived/worked over here previously?).  By the looks of it they have tried to copy the Thai paypond model and although the place doesn't look the greatest the quality of the fish is high and they are keen to take the fly (more so than bait from what I have witnessed).

Come to think of it was it you that mentioned trout fishing in Cameron Highlands?

:z18

Steven.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 01/11/2012 at 10:08 »
Indeed I did live over there (Cass, my partner is currently in Singapore) and yip, it was me that mentioned the trout. :)

I had forgotten you were out that way, lucky b@gger!

There used to be a reservoir near to KL, can't rememeber the name, but it had some colossal Carp in it that were fished for by spear fishermen. I remember visiting a tackle shop in Singapore and seeing a photo of a chap in speedos and goggles with a spear gun, standing next to a Comman Carp of around 60 pounds, dead as a door nail, hanging from a tree. Thats had come from the KL reservoir.

Good choice on the Helios, thats what I use for the Pike myself.

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #9 on: 01/11/2012 at 14:22 »
Rob,
it is an excellent choice by Steven getting the Helios especially since I was the one who forked out the money and I will hand carry it to KL in January. I have a 10 weight Greys platinum XD that I will be using. Steven is also relieving me of my Abel super 10 reel, so I now need a replacement. I am not going to buy another Abel and wondered if you could suggest a good alternative up to £500.00.

Regards,

Eddie.

Sandy Nelson

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #11 on: 01/11/2012 at 16:49 »
Sandy,
I have tried responding to your PM. Can you PM me again with a contact number and I will call you to organise because my replies do not seem to be leaving from my computer.

Regards,

Eddie.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 01/11/2012 at 16:55 »
Hi Eddie

View the PM via the "My Messages" link in the menu at the top of the forum, click on "reply" to the right above the message, write your reply in the text box and then click on the "Send message" button below the text box.

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 01/11/2012 at 23:00 »
I am not going to buy another Abel and wondered if you could suggest a good alternative up to £500

No can do as I struggle to justify that much money on a reel..lol. I use Orvis Mach IVs for my Pike and UK saltwater and they are more than a match for what I need.

However, my great Uncle fly fishes out of Florida for silly sized Tarpon and the like and he uses the Colton Torrent range of reels. Ment to have the best drags in the business, but I could not comment as the mean sod won't take me!

Sieger Devries

« Reply #14 on: 01/11/2012 at 23:24 »
I personally do like the Hatch reels, but they are so f... expensive.. Got a few Monsoon's when they gone out off production... but what a drag system ... smooth and strong...

And I like the Danielsson reels... real work horses... just do the job ... I use them (the LW's)  on my double hand rods..

Over here the Shilton reels from South Africa are coming up, especially for bigger fish... http://shiltonreels.com/products/

These two come within the 500 mark.... and there are undoubtably many more that can handle big fish very well...  :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com