Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Photography books
« on: 27/10/2012 at 19:12 »
All,

Anybody read or got any good books on photography?  We had a day's instruction back in April but could do with something a bit more detailed to help us work out a few more things!  I looked at doing a course at Aberdeen college but they see, to focus on photoshop initially and to be honest its the artistic bit of photography framing images etc that I'd like to focus on not what I can do to rescue it afterwards!

Cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

Re: Photography books
« Reply #1 on: 27/10/2012 at 19:19 »
Was that framing images Matt?

Landscapes?

Sorry I don't know of any Matt but there seems to be a wealth of info on the net, surely enough to take things to the next level.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 27/10/2012 at 19:32 »
Sorted now Iain. Were you out today?

Any links to share?

Cheers Matt

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 27/10/2012 at 19:40 »
Sorted now Iain.

What did you get Matt?

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 27/10/2012 at 19:45 »
Sorry Mike. I'd made a spelling mistake that I've now corrected. Had a look on amazon because when I had a look at the bookshops in town there wasn't much.

Might just make a purchase and then flog it on eBay if it's mince.

Cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 27/10/2012 at 22:16 »
Yes I was out today Matt ( no fish  :cry), had a frustrating time trying to photograph at least one olive from the hatch.

This was taken with the compact so I'm more determined now to get a macro for the EVIL camera.

Also had a play with the new Go Pro Dive Housing which is flat as opposed to the original domed one  - took some underwater footage which was really good, hopefully the river will have cleared slightly tomorrow so that I can post some clearer footage.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 27/10/2012 at 22:27 »
Great photo Iain, looking forward to seeing the video footage :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sieger Devries

« Reply #7 on: 27/10/2012 at 23:23 »
Maybe this could support your trip into photography... I like the books National Geographic has in store...

They let you take a peek into the world of real masters and provide you with great, do-able- tips... especially towards framing, getting the moment etc.... (have a look at these http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/books/photography/national-geographic-ultimate-photography-field-guide-3-book-set) ... don't let the items they are on confound (???) you... there's a lot to learn form it, if you are able to translate it to the kind of photography you like...

In Holland we got a special one on Outdoor-photography... can't find it here..

In general: I learned a great deal by looking and watching the photography of the 'great' ones...  (for me Steve McCurry, Olivier Follmi) and tried to translate it into my own pics...

(My Photo-work got a little bit into the background over the last years, but the idea's are still there... )

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 28/10/2012 at 00:00 »
Some of those on ebay Sieger and very cheap too :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Sieger Devries

« Reply #9 on: 28/10/2012 at 00:22 »
Yes for sure Mike... the cheaper the better.... (must be a Dutch and Scottish thing...  :z4 )...  :wink

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 28/10/2012 at 00:58 »

Matt Henderson

« Reply #11 on: 28/10/2012 at 08:47 »
Thanks guys. Pay day soon. Will scout out the best deal possible. Quite like the look of the Landscape one too!

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 30/10/2012 at 12:15 »
Forget the college course, its digital photography and like you say, much of the course is not about photography but about manipulating what you have. I used to teach the Photoshop part of it..and some of the people on the course really hold up the more skilled folk.

Join a camera club and also have a look online. Lots of fantastic master classes on Vimeo/Youtube.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 30/10/2012 at 12:27 »
Matt,

Get in touch with Magnus, he'll get you sorted.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 02/11/2012 at 20:16 »
I just got this for my camera ...... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D50-Digital-Field-Guide/dp/0471787469/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351887124&sr=8-1 and it looks quite useful.

If you are interested, try a google for "whatever your camera model" digital field guide :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com