Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ploddy

Advice please
« on: 23/10/2012 at 21:27 »
Hi, looking to get back into angling after many many years of having been away from the sport.  Just used to spin for brownies on the Don at Inverurie or for seat trout at the Ythan estuary but would like to learn the craft of fly fishing.

My "home" water will be the Haddo beats of the Ythan but hopefully will also be able to spend some time on other rivers such as Don/Deveron. Have been reading up on equipment but it gets oh so confusing the more you look into it.

Would be looking for salmon and sea trout on above rivers and would have a budget of about £500.  Now I know that can get swallowed up very quickly but was hoping to get a semi decent outfit to get me started and then I can fiddle away from there.

Any advice on suitable rod/reel/line would be greatly appreciated.

Ploddy

Matt Henderson

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: 23/10/2012 at 21:56 »
A few guys on here fish the Ythan so hopefully they will give some advice.

If I was to start from scratch knowing what I do now then to have only one double handed rod would be a 13ft #8/9 or #9/10.  It's of a length that you can fish from lower to middle river with ease. 

I think the other important thing is to get some casting lessons. I learned single handed casting from my grandfather and dad and over thd years hasn't really improved that well. When I bought a double hander I got some lessons off of a professional. What a difference! In fact I would suggest getting a casting lesson before you buy lots of gear. You would get a chance to try a few different set ups and see which you would prefer and get some good advice based on where you fish most regularly.

Best of luck

Matt

Ploddy

« Reply #2 on: 25/10/2012 at 23:29 »
Thanks Matt.

Will def go for some casting lessons.   From what I have read I think a 13 ft rod would be the size to go for.  Also managed to have a wee shot of a friends rod which is a 13 ft Vision rod.  Seemed very easy to cast but of course I have nothing to compare it against.

Started to read up about shooting head lines which from what I can make out it what I as a beginner to fly fishing should be going for as they are easier to cast but then again I may be reading it wrong.  Life was so much simpler when all you had to do was tie a bit of string onto a stick.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 25/10/2012 at 23:45 »
Hi "Ploddy"

Something 13ft or shorter should be fine and trying friends' rods is good start. The members of the Haddo club in Methlick are a friendly bunch and I'm sure they will show you what they use. As Matt said, a couple of lessons will help you a lot and give you the opportunity to try a few different rods and lines! This would also give you a feel for the different types of lines, which would be explained and demonstrated properly.

Best wishes
Mike

Ploddy

« Reply #4 on: 25/10/2012 at 23:52 »
Thanks Mike.   I think I know a few people who are members so should be able to glean knowledge from them.

Good thing is that there is obviously no rush to get my outfit straight away as will not be needed until next year.  On the other hand that is giving me more time to get even more confused  :z8

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com