Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Keeping mobile phones dry!
« on: 21/10/2012 at 12:25 »
After slipping off the bank not once but twice whilst fishing yesterday. I realised two things. One that my new back support fairly stops the water getting in. And that I really need to get a case for my iPhone. Nipped into Tiso today and got the Aquapac one it's big enough for my phone and maybe some cash too. It also allows me to my phone through the locked case. Submersible to 5m it also allows you to take underwater photos but I've yet to test this theory!

Matt

Ben Dixon

Re: Keeping mobile phones dry!
« Reply #1 on: 21/10/2012 at 14:34 »
It should work fine Matt, My phone takes crap pics anyway but the pics it takes are no worse when taken through my aquapac.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 21/10/2012 at 14:34 »
Felt soles Matt ?

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #3 on: 21/10/2012 at 17:24 »
Jim,

It's those patterned rubber ones with some tungsten carbide studs. First time I was standing at and awkward angle and moved my foot. Sadly the nice flat bit I chose was supported by water rather than earth!  The second time I was being lazy and cutting through some over grown stuff rather than going round the long way and lost my footing.

Matt

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 21/10/2012 at 18:03 »
Aye Matt

I almost did the same thing on the Ythan, misjuding where the bank ended and where the river started  :oops I find the rubber soles better though.

Not the first time I've landed on my arse in the river, no broken rods though only damaged pride  :wink

:z18

Jim

Noel Kelly

« Reply #6 on: 21/10/2012 at 19:44 »
I'm hard on phones. I've drowned a few and I'm good at dropping them on hard surfaces as well. Recently bought a lifeproof case for my iPhone. It's a fully sealed unit so waterproof, dustproof and apparently shockproof. The phone lives in it all the time it's got a sealed door you open to charge the phone and a screw insert to remove for inserting headphones. Seems to be the biz. All buttons work fine maybe need a harder than usual push. Touchscreen and camera seem as good as usual. Highly recommended. Got mine on eBay for £20.

Ben Dixon

Matt Henderson

« Reply #8 on: 21/10/2012 at 21:29 »
If only I'd noticed on Friday! Would have saved me a tenner and also a bag of rice to dry it out!

Matt

Allan Liddle

« Reply #9 on: 21/10/2012 at 23:40 »
Yup drooned a few phones over the years, latest one was my Blackberry today at Milbuies, along with my camera.
Didn't fall in, more a wee bit drama at the end of the afternoons fishing.  Got back to the pier all packed up and feelin pretty chuffed with a good catch on the dries (wasn't expectin that, but happy to be coverin risin fish all afternoon)

Anyway tied and locked boat, lifted oot all my kit, oars and net, then stepped out telling the dogs to stay put.  Nah we're no havin that they say and soon as my backs turned oot they come. Well one of them did with the big lab ending up trapped under the pier and drowning.  No time to take anything out pockets (didn't cross my mind to be honest) straight in goes i, right under pier and grabbed the big lump, dragged him oot and bundled him on the pier.  Yup feckin freezin and a drive home in waterproof trousers and wading jacket.  :z4 So not too concerned about the phone and camera, happy it wasn't much much worse.  Phone's gettin replaced this week and camera due an upgrade anyway.

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 22/10/2012 at 08:15 »
jeez, Allan, glad you and the lump are OK - that could have been much much worse

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 22/10/2012 at 08:54 »
That could've been nasty :shock Pleased to hear that you're both OK! :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #12 on: 22/10/2012 at 10:44 »
Thanks guys.  On the plus the phones still working (sadly camera not) and the dog's got a lovely shiny coat.  :grin :grin

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 22/10/2012 at 11:02 »
That's a bit of an extreme way to find an excuse to buy new toys Allan! :z4

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #14 on: 22/10/2012 at 12:43 »
You love jumping out of boats Allan! Would have been funny if the bobbies stopped you on your way home!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com