Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: What to ask for Christmas
« Reply #15 on: 18/10/2012 at 19:06 »

So get that Lexus GS V8 instead and fit it into a G3 Surf.

:z3

More like it  :z4

Matt Henderson

« Reply #16 on: 18/10/2012 at 19:44 »
Thanks Sandy I will start doing some serious research!

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #17 on: 18/10/2012 at 20:22 »
I'm not a Prius fan for 'country' living

Its actually better at that than living in the city, the engine needs to be warm before the benefits of the EV system can utilised, to prevent excessive wear, all makes good engineering sense. What i find is the first 10 miles you hardly ever see the battery being used, but from then on it does do its job and does it rather well :z16
Interesting you mention KERS... thats basically how the Toyota system works, its an electrically assisted Petrol engine except its a constantly variable transmission so there are no gears as such, its all fly by wire.
I think its all rather cool. (although i'd trade it for an XK-R if i could afford the 20mpg/ins/road tax, hmmmmmmmmm...Then again maybe i wouldn't :z4 :z4 ...XKF 2.2d might be more like it :z16)

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 18/10/2012 at 20:34 »
Sandy,
 Panasonic GH2, micro 4/3

Was thinking that a prime lens  might be desirable from a quality point of view and live with the fact that I,d have to do a bit of self focusing (no Euan not that type). That would be ok for inanimate objects but Duns for example may benefit from a static tripod and manual focus via a tele lens? As for max aperture I had a go on a full frame camera with a 100mm prime lens at f/2.8 (if I recall correctly) and it was amazing, although I hadn,t imagined how much the shallow depth of field would actually affect a tiny insect.

Panasonic do do macro lenses but they are rather expensive when I'm sure I could get a second hand one with an adapter for a more council price.

Apologies as I haven't actually read your post as it's story time & Tiddler can,t wait.
Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 21/10/2012 at 00:56 »
Prius????
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/priusplus-2012

Based on the 2012 model....
Less mpg than an average diesel.
Some of the models command Road Tax due to CO2 over 100g
and based on "whole life" from construction to scrapping, the dirtiest car on the road due to lots of nasty element in the batteries.

I'll stick with my V8 Defender which has so many recyced parts its a tree huggers dream ;)

As for Christmas..a Polestar tune for my Volvo..OR...the new limited edition Volvo S60 Polestar with 508 bhp and 0-60 in 3.7 second as advertised in the Volvo Owners magazine this month :)

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #20 on: 21/10/2012 at 07:42 »
Prius by honest Sandy :z3

6 months of ownership so far, 7000 miles.
I get an average of 62mpg going to and from work, driving normally :z16
If we go to visit forres/Elgin I get 67mpg and the best ive had was Glasgow to ellon via pitlochry and braemar at 71mpg for  275mile trip :z16, my 7000 mile average is 62.4. Not many cars will get REAL world figures like that, it's 10 below the specified combined figure, but still a fantastic overall consumption figure.
Petrol IS 5p a litre cheaper than diesel.
Mine has 89g CO2 so no road tax
It is cheap to insure :z7
When we test drove BMW 3 and 5, Merc c-class, Audi A4 , Golf, Octavia, Yeti, etc (I do have a German hang up with cars)
the Prius was the most comfortable for Sandra in the passenger seat, the biggest inside with the most legroom in the back for transporting 3 big lads to gigs with music gear and to football as well. And I can fit in my 2 pc rods with no effort :z16
It Handles better on the road than most cars I've driven as the battery placement gives it almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution.
It came with 5 yr warranty and 3 years servicing incl first Mot.

And my 15 y.o. Son and his mates all think it is cool  :z3 very much a different generation to me but I think it looks nice and drives well.

I'm not desperately into saving the planet, but I am into saving money. Going from a Diesel Freelander 2 to the Prius is saving me £300 a month so far, that's a lot of nice trips and gear or perhaps a bigger garage and a petrol heads motor for the weekends :wink  (an alfa perhaps, they like being in the garage)

I actually like the car a lot, if it were just a bit more luxurious inside it would be superb :z16.

Sandy

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 21/10/2012 at 10:49 »
So, did we get a decent Christmas list sorted out yet  :?

:z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: 21/10/2012 at 18:57 »
Yeah

I want "Afterglow" by Black Country Communion and a Lego Death star :z16

:)z

Sandy

Noel Kelly

« Reply #23 on: 21/10/2012 at 19:51 »
Mine this year is hopefully gonna be quiet a bit of salt water fishing during our annual holiday to South Africa. Have convinced herself that a fishing lodge I have been eying for the last few years is a viable place to spend a few days plus a few more days further down the coast in a salt water fly fishing hotspot. Well I have been a good boy...

Noel Kelly

« Reply #24 on: 21/10/2012 at 19:55 »
Yeah

I want "Afterglow" by Black Country Communion and a Lego Death star :z16

:)z

Sandy

Lego Death Star  :X7

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com