Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Sparse Salmon/Sea-trout flies
« on: 17/10/2012 at 17:56 »
From talking to many people of late, it occured to me that many moons ago and for many years, i have tied flies for people to their own requirements. Until this year i've never really thought seriously about Salmon and Sea-trout, so a lot of the advice kinda passed me by (but it was squirreled away :wink)
However with having the Ythan literally at my back door and most of the trips i have managed this year in between everything else, i've been actively pursuing Salmon and Sea-trout, with some success :z18

So my winter projects for this year are to use lots of the advice and ideas i've picked up and then tweek the to suit me, hence the requests for small silver and gold doubles the other week (i'm still waiting for delivery so we have yet to see about those :z6)

The first of my own patterns for the winter, just left the vice :z16 Its basically a sparse Invicta style,spidery,low watery, unusual bird kind of thing. I've done the Teal/blue and silver and a dunkeld in a similar vein, but not in the right proportions quite yet to justify a few piccies (hooks are too big :z10). This one however is about right :z16 although it needs to be shrunk 2-3 sizes for the water out back. I'm sure its all been done before, but a wee series of similar patterns are my plans for the winter.

For those interested, this is the Black Grouse.

Hook is a size 11 Salar gold double (could do with being a proper 14)
Beard hackle is Black arctic fox,
underwing/tail is Yellow arctic fox
Wing is Black Grouse hen tail in a paired slip
Cheeks are Jungle cock.

No-body, just the colour of the hook and a sparse wing and hackle.
Hopefully just enough flash with lots of movement.

Simple but rather effective, i think most traditional sea-trout flies can be adapted to the style, just pick your favourite and vary the size of the hook :z16

Sandy

Matt Henderson

Re: Sparse Salmon/Sea-trout flies
« Reply #1 on: 17/10/2012 at 19:34 »
Very nice Sandy,

I'm not a big fan of salar hooks, mainly the price but they do make for a very bonnie flee! 

Funnily enough with the start of Strictly Come Dancing again I'm spending much more time at the vice, pictures later!

Matt

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 17/10/2012 at 22:24 »
Nice one Sandy :z16

Cheers
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: 22/10/2012 at 20:51 »
Finally got a selection of the VMC doubles today.

Not had too much time to play, but they are rather nice fine wire hooks and should be ideal for the Sea-trout.
The 12 is just small enough to be worth having, the 14 is better, i'd say slightly longer than a size 12 "wee double" hook but not enough to matter. Just a pity they don't make them in a 16 and 18, they would be awesome.

Here is a foxy Teal blue and silver, i did this evening, lighting will be better next time, but it illustrates the hook nicely

I got them in gold as well, so i have loads of wee ideas :wink

So here is a Black Grouse in a 14

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #4 on: 30/10/2012 at 16:28 »
A Size 14 Stoats Tail, tied with arctic fox, so i suppose its a foxtail :z4 :z4

Having fun with this :z3.

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 30/10/2012 at 16:40 »
That'll work :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 30/10/2012 at 21:58 »
what kind of fox sandy? I struggle with wee hair wings like that to get a wing that's sparse enough yet with short enough fibres that sit nicely. 

Cheers

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 30/10/2012 at 22:08 »
Sandy,
There may be some good news on the coloured doubles front  in the near future....maybe.

Glad you got hold of the VMC's, have a word with the chappy in Kate Flemming if you need smaller ones, he may be able to help.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #8 on: 31/10/2012 at 22:19 »
Thanks for that Rob

If you want some don't go to mchardys they are useless when it comes to service.
Took them 3 weeks to tell me they don't have stock :z10
And then they sent bigger ones thinking that was a suitable alternative. :z8

Flymakers in Aberdeen however had loads in all sizes, and they arrived next day.
Douglas is a Nice guy to speak to as well :z18
Based in Torry.

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 01/11/2012 at 13:06 »
Excellent news..will look him up.
Cheers

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 01/11/2012 at 13:41 »
I'll give a second vote for Flymakers for hooks. Great value and quick delivery.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 01/11/2012 at 17:33 »
lovin' the Black Grouse Sandy !  :z16

Crackaig

« Reply #12 on: 29/12/2012 at 14:26 »
Partridge do salmon doubles down to size 20 now. I've tied on a few and they really are tiny. Only available in black though. This is one of mine on a black size 14 double. If I remember correctly its a Talon hook.

Cheers,
C.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 29/12/2012 at 15:45 »
Very nice! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 29/12/2012 at 16:53 »
Nice flee Crackaig :z16

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com