Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

River Dee Closing Day 2012
« on: 15/10/2012 at 21:04 »
All,

I was invited to fish Park South on closing day of the 2012 season.  I had high hopes but as has seemed entirely normal this year every time I was scheduled to go fishing there was high water.  The river levels on Friday night didn't make me overly hopeful. 

We arrived this morning to the water at 3ft over the gauge and fish showing in the pool opposite the bothy. 

Given the high water and the water temeperature I went for an intermediate line, extra fast sink tip and inch copper tube, that was nice and bright, this is a cross between a red francis and a junction shrimp. 

I was allocated beat 2 in the morning and fished all morning and was getting increasingly frustrated. There were fish showing everywhere but no joy so gradually changed from an inch copper tube to a 2" copper tube, and with still no success, from an extra fast sink tip to a slow sink and then onto a size 6 double cascade, I'm still playing with the under-water camera, it's not easy taking under-water pics with your head above water!

After lunch I moved down to beat three, and fished two pools before going to the top of beat three and fishing the pool in front of the bothy.  Half way down whilst blethering to the ghillie about how the best spot in the pool was in fact the water height marker about twenty yards further on this little lady made an appearance.  Not the freshest of fish but two of the other rods had sea liced silver fish. 

Very happy to get the Salmon count off zero for the season!  Still a few days left this season on the Don, fingers crossed!

The view as I was leaving the river tonight. 

Oh and also used the McKenzie running line today, very happy with it compared to the Rio stuff I was using before. 

Matt  :z18 :z15 :z18

Iain Goolager

Re: River Dee Closing Day 2012
« Reply #1 on: 15/10/2012 at 21:24 »
Well Done Matt  :z16  :z15  :z16

Nice wee report. Are you out on the Don this week?

Iain

nice jacket!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 15/10/2012 at 22:09 »
Great stuff Matt! ... and some nice photos too :z16

Best wishes
Mike

danbruce

« Reply #3 on: 16/10/2012 at 22:33 »
Well done on the fish Matt.  :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 17/10/2012 at 07:31 »
Thanks guys.

Glad you like the jacket Iain. It's very warm and a pleasing shade of blue. I'm enjoying bringing fashion to fishing😊

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 17/10/2012 at 08:03 »
Nowt wrong with the jacket Matt, nothing I'd rather do than turn up to Park sporting an Alberta Allstars shell suit.

:z4

Only joking Mattheus, I'm just trying to amuse myself to take my mind off my dwindling good looks.

pm sent.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 17/10/2012 at 13:56 »
I'm back in Canadia at Christmas if you want me to get you one? I'm going to try and get trousers in the same pattern to keep the man vegetables warm!

One thing I keep seeing is people putting waders over the outside of their wading jackets?!? Especially when it's raining?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com