Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Weed hunting
« on: 14/10/2012 at 01:18 »
In amongst the weed, hunting for snails .............

Allan Liddle

Re: Weed hunting
« Reply #1 on: 14/10/2012 at 21:05 »
Troots feeding habits never cease to amaze me, great pic Mike

Allan L

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 14/10/2012 at 21:13 »
They've been doing this a lot this year Allan, some of the larger trout too. I stood watching for ages the other day and you can actually see them mouthing the weed and then moving on while chomping away at whatever they got from it :cool:

Will try to get some better photos if I can, have got a new polarising filter that I haven't tried out yet :wink

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #3 on: 15/10/2012 at 10:37 »
Hmmm sounds like could be good for a wee bit of ambush tactics?
You still open Mike, might have a free slot this coming weekend?

spinner

« Reply #4 on: 15/10/2012 at 11:32 »
Ambush tactics eh, does that mean hit them wi a big stick Allan  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 15/10/2012 at 21:30 »
Polarising filter on the 'to do' list Mike.

I've had many opportunities to video/photo some nice Browns in the last month in the low clear water............... clear as a bell through the polaroid Vision Spec's but hopeless through an unfiltered lens  :z10

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 15/10/2012 at 21:42 »
We've got one. Not really used it to full affect yet.  Went for a circular one so you get more or less polarising as the filter turns. What did you go for Mike?

Matt

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 15/10/2012 at 22:06 »
Hi Matt

I went for a Hoya 77mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter. I'm told they are very good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 15/10/2012 at 22:11 »
Polarising filter on the 'to do' list Mike.

I've had many opportunities to video/photo some nice Browns in the last month in the low clear water............... clear as a bell through the polaroid Vision Spec's but hopeless through an unfiltered lens  :z10

Iain

Yes, it has been equally frustrating at Haddo Iain, clear through the specs and hopeless through the lens in most lights.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 16/10/2012 at 08:49 »
Hmmm sounds like could be good for a wee bit of ambush tactics?
You still open Mike, might have a free slot this coming weekend?

Hi Allan :z16

Yes, I have boats available this weekend. Will close at some stage this month, keeping an eye on the trout and will close when I think they would be better getting some peace :wink

Drop me a PM to book a boat.
Best wishes
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 16/10/2012 at 10:00 »
Hi Matt

I went for a Hoya 77mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter. I'm told they are very good, but I haven't tried it yet.

Cheers
Mike

We went for this one 

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/87286/show.html

I tried to use it to take pictures of the carp in the mother in laws pond, but the buggers wouldn't stay still to let me get a good photo.  When we were choosing it in the shop the shop gadgie demostrated it's effectiveness by pointing it at a van windscreen it would go from totally transparent to fully opaque depending on how far round you turned it. 

Cheers

Matt

Alex Burnett

« Reply #11 on: 16/10/2012 at 10:35 »
These came out not too bad.

Alex

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 16/10/2012 at 11:28 »
That second one is awesome!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 16/10/2012 at 11:36 »
Hi Matt

A polarising filter is likely to not perform well in low light conditions? What type of filter do you keep on your lens for most of the time to protect the lens itself? I was thinking a standard UV filter?

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

« Reply #14 on: 16/10/2012 at 11:36 »
Nice pics Alex :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com