Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

SEPA & Scotland's Water Plan
« on: 24/04/2007 at 08:22 »
SEPA are inviting anyone with an interest in NE Scotland's water environment to attend an informal, open meeting at either:

Barn and Bushel, Thainstone Centre on Monday 28 May from 1900 to 2100 hrs or
Ben Mhor Hotel, Grantown-on-Spey on Wednesday 30 May from 1900 to 2100 hrs.

To quote SEPA, "This is the first opportunity for you to get involved in shaping the future plans for the water of the North East and ensuring that they are protected and enhanced for all water users.  SEPA needs to prepare a water protection and improvement plan to meet EU legislation (The Water Framework Directive) and we need anyone with an interest - angler, canoeist, farmer, use the rivers and coast for your business or have an environmental interest - to help us prepare it.  By attending this informal, open meeting you will be able to learn more about the water planning process and find out what's happening when, as well as how you can be involved in the future."

Hamish Young

« Reply #1 on: 24/04/2007 at 11:06 »
Hmmmm - i'll be at one I think, intriguing :!:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 24/04/2007 at 11:46 »
I am a little worried at what they are wanting to do on the "conservation" side of things. I think we could lose a lot of water to the twitchers and certainly coarse fish are on there hit list. I dont think I can go though :(

Paul Rankine

Water Framework Directive etc.
« Reply #3 on: 24/04/2007 at 13:29 »
Hi All,
          SEPA have been consulting on the above for well over a year a now with various bodies , SNH, local authorities ,etc,etc, , but we have,nt heard from them for a while now ! This must be the start of their consultation with the general public . This is tied in with the River Basin Management Strategy which is also quite  important in terms of determining water use.
My advice to anyone interested is to make every effort you can to go or at least find out if your local club, Association etc, has a list of meeting dates and is being ,(or has been ) , consulted.
Cheers,
Paul.

« Reply #4 on: 19/06/2007 at 18:16 »
Did anyone go to either of the meetings?

i was going to go but was unable to get to them. Was there anything of any interesting said,

andrew

« Reply #5 on: 19/06/2007 at 23:51 »
First half of the event was spent listening to why the Water Plan is being introduced and how Scotland is being divided up into areas.   Second half was spent with attendees putting up their ideas about how, when, who and where the likes of us should be kept informed/consulted and get our input into the deliberations.

Attendees (about 20 or so) were Dee and Don Fishery Boards officials, a few Don and Dee angling associations, Aberdeenshire Council officials, SEPA employees, NFU representative, FSB representative, plus some others that I cannot remember now.   I do remember that no one went as just a plain olde angler. I was the only stillwater representative and no one from the Deveron, either Board or angling association went; in fact they missed the Deveron off their presentation - easily done I suppose!

Overall view.........they were using it as a fact finding exercise.   But, chances are that if you didn't go, they don't have your dtails and then you're likely to be omitted from future consultation/contact.

Will endeavour to post future updates.

« Reply #6 on: 20/06/2007 at 15:12 »
Oh - from above post missed that 40% of our Areas rivers are considered "at risk".  In real terms this means 59 rivers.   At Risk means that levels of certain substances are above the recommended levels and is caused by either diffused pollution or from a point source.   Interesting comment made about levels of pollution (shit particles) created by farm animals...........

see www.sepa.org.uk/wfd for more info.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com