Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Tam Greenock

What rod
« on: 23/04/2007 at 09:18 »
l intend to do some brown trout fishing at Lochindorb and Loch Na Bo this season, from bank and boat respectively.
What rod weight and length would you advise me to use, l have a 7 weight just now but would imagine that is too heavy for the fish lm likely to catch.
l would also like to use the rod as a back up at the fisheries round about here
Thanks
Tam

Rob Brownfield

What rod
« Reply #1 on: 23/04/2007 at 11:06 »
If you can get to Haddo for a cast with Mikes rods I don't think you will be dissapointed....

Sandy Nelson

What rod
« Reply #2 on: 24/04/2007 at 08:10 »
Tam

As rob says get a shot of the Barrio rod, if want a lighter partner for your existing tackle. It was designed to be easy casting with lots of the all important feel, its also capable of casting with several line weights and different people have preferred it with various lines( a testament to the forgiving nature of the blank). I'm a MAJOR fan of Winston B11x fly rods and the Barrio is as close as you will get to a similar rod, but at sensible money.Great all rounder from tube,boat or bank
I know i'm biased :wink: But i would really reccomend trying one.It can present a DT3 at short to med range but its possible to get to 100ft with a WF5. Just depends whether you want to fish or just cast :z5

Other great rods i've tried recently have been a Guideline LPXE RS 9ft 5wt, greys streamflex 10ft 4wt (lovely boat rod with a wf5).And of course the Winston B11x in either 5 or 6 wt 9ft, if your budget allows this is probably the finest flyrod in the world (the only one with build quality to match the Barrio :grin: )

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

What rod
« Reply #3 on: 24/04/2007 at 08:50 »
Quote from: "spiderman"
(the only one with build quality to match the Barrio :grin: )

:wink:  You need to see my ones..hehe just done a Sage for a chap down south, 9 foot 10 weight for Tarpon...what a blank!!! RPLXi You could cast a half herring with it!!..lol

Sandy Nelson

What rod
« Reply #4 on: 24/04/2007 at 16:51 »
Rob

You know I've fished with you, but have never, ever seen one of your rods :wink:

:lol:

Makes you wonder :z4

Sandy

jock

what rod
« Reply #5 on: 24/04/2007 at 17:40 »
ive got two of robsnice rods,the masking tape holding on the eyes all matches,and the jubilee clips that hold on the reel seat are polished to a very high standard :lol: ,but seriously the guy makes some lovely rods i got a fly rod made for my father that he refuses to use in case it gets marked he loves that rod more than me :sad:

Irvine Ross

What rod
« Reply #6 on: 24/04/2007 at 17:58 »
Quote from: "spiderman"
And of course the Winston B11x in either 5 or 6 wt 9ft, if your budget allows this is probably the finest flyrod in the world (the only one with build quality to match the Barrio :grin: )

Sandy

Sandy

This new love afair with a Winston wouldn't have anything to do with a certain Scott g2 that's up for sale would it? :wink:

Irvine

PS how does the #5 Scott compare with the #3

Sandy Nelson

What rod
« Reply #7 on: 25/04/2007 at 07:38 »
Irvine

I'm afraid so,
The G2 5wt is a beautiful rod to fish with and probably the nicest river rod i've cast with. up to about 50ft its magic, but so is the Winston and the Winston can extend this feeling and dig deeper to cast up to 110ft without to much work. Its just ME, the Winston IS the rod i've been looking for :z5
The 6wt one is equally awesome too.
It was interesting as i worked on the Barrio 3wt for most of last year and got it the way Mike and I wanted it.Then in Feb i got a shot of the Winston and instantly fell for it, putting them side by side i fully understand why, the Barrio is like the Winstons little sister, in terms of what it does and how it does it.
Back to the G2, i would say the 5wt is just a more powerful version of the 3wt, although as far as i can tell they would do basically the same job, only advantage would be in a wind or for casting larger flies.Both beautiful rods for the river, unbelievably light and the presentation you can achieve is superb.

Sandy

Tam Greenock

What rod
« Reply #8 on: 25/04/2007 at 07:46 »
Thanks folks, think it will be a 4 or 5 weight just incase l catch a bigger fish when using it at fisheries round here.
Having only ever used 7 weight rods perhaps lm a bit dubious/cautious of how good a 3 weight will be in handling a bigger fish.

Rob Brownfield

What rod
« Reply #9 on: 25/04/2007 at 09:35 »
Sandy,

See!!...Jock says so..so there... :z7  I even used good quality masking tape for the rings, with a red felt tip pen line to make it look classey!!  :grin:

You are right though, when I fished with you I was using a Shimano match rod because a good match blank is near on impossible to find these days and at £70 I could not argue :)

Rob Brownfield

What rod
« Reply #10 on: 25/04/2007 at 09:36 »
Cheers Jock!  :lol:

Sandy Nelson

What rod
« Reply #11 on: 25/04/2007 at 10:00 »

Sandy Nelson

What rod
« Reply #12 on: 25/04/2007 at 10:04 »
Tam

The 3wt would surprise you, I've caught all my doubles with a 3wt and they were Mikes Torpedo ones , not some of the fat lazy buggers, i've had grilse to 7lb on the 3wt too.
The Barrio is rated for a DT3, it matches up with a WF4 brilliantly and as i said before it'll cast a wf5 a long way.
If you have the confidence to bend the rod into the fish when playing, you'll find you will actually beat the fish quicker with lighter gear on lighter tippets as the rod absorbes a lot of the energy from the fish.
I would still reccomend trying one, its pretty good in a breeze too.

Sandy

Irvine Ross

What rod
« Reply #13 on: 25/04/2007 at 19:43 »
Sandy

With the blank for the Winston B11x priced at $315 (£157) in the states compared to the Scott g2 at $400 it looks like a real bargain.

And at a UK list price for the complete rod of £479.00 there is a whole business opportunity for UK based rod builders, like at least two I could mention.

Now which of you does the best quality sticky tape?

Irvine

Tam Greenock

What rod
« Reply #14 on: 25/04/2007 at 21:50 »
lm going to try and get along to Haddo on Sunday and have a wee look at his fly rods
lf l had the money right now l would have considered the 3 weight setup that you are selling, sounds good

Sorry that was for Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com