Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

9' 5 Weight for NZ
« on: 28/09/2012 at 13:16 »
Talked about it for long enough...lifetimes ambition to go to South Island. Nowt booked yet but may be shortly. Have an original Fli 9' 5 wt but will use this as a back up in case one breaks.

My go to rods are currently Helios 10 #4, 9' #4, Access 8.5' #4, Streamflex 8' #4, Streamflex 10' #3. Various Sage less than 9' to 7.5' for #3.

All cracking rods in their own right. I am definitely a rod(as opposed to a reel [but love Lamson]) man. But don't like having them all the same model/make.Don't really have a use for a 5wt  on our rivers. Have been very impressed by the Guideline Fario reviews in T & S, but have been told by one retailer that the action is right into the handle. He recommended the Hardy Sintrix 9' #5 as the 'best 9' #5wt by a country mile'(apparently the Yanks voted it so too!) and this man is a Sage addict! BTW I have spoken to him many times over teh years and do not think he is trying to sell this because it will make him more dosh. However I have heard it said that it can be a bit stiff(fnar) for shorter casts.

Customer Service aside, any comments? Anyone cast them? Anyone recommend something else? I will try before buying and may well go to GAC on Sunday as I have to be in Aberdeen on business Monday but any comments are welcome.

Should also have said that it is a 50th bady present from my employer so money is not so important and I am looking for something really decent (that costs a bit too!)

Richard

Marc Fauvet

Re: 9' 5 Weight for NZ
« Reply #1 on: 28/09/2012 at 13:26 »
hi Ricardo,
6wt and even 7wt seems to be the favored line classes for most trout fishing in NZ rivers and lakes.
not so much for the fish as any decent 5wt should handle a 10lb fish easily but for the wind, lots of strong-strong wind.

cheers,
marc

Richard Tong

« Reply #2 on: 28/09/2012 at 13:32 »
Thanks Mark. I know that heavier rods are the norm, but my friend who I would be fishing with uses a 5wt and has been the last 3 seasons. He uses a 5wt and says I will be fine with it. Whilst my casting is not up to his standards, he knows me well and I trust his judgement. Thanks for the advice anyway

Richard

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 28/09/2012 at 17:18 »
Ricardo,

Interesting, I haven't went as high as a 5wt for a good few years but purchased a 9' 5wt Access at the start of this season & used it for 98.75% of my river fishing - really like it, given me the edge on those frequent windy days.
Being someone who likes to have new shiny things for the following season I have already bought my new reel and have been contemplating a new rod ( :X1 nowt wrong with the Access  :X1), like the look of the Sage one but hear that it can be harsh at close range, and I like my dry fly. Trolled lots of reviews and the Hardy sintrix has been favoured over it in all the ones I've read bar none  :z6
There is also the Helios2 due out, next month? but I hear it is serious coin and my boss won't be paying for it.
I might opt for the std Helios which are selling at a fair discount.

I had a Fario in a 3 wt and when playing a fish you could feel the blank flexing under the cork, nice rod.

At the outlaws tomorrow and Sunday so may have a jaunt to GAC on Sunday and try a couple o rods.
Oh what about the Loop Cross1? It's got good reviews too.

Happy hunting

Iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 28/09/2012 at 18:02 »
Thanks Mark. I know that heavier rods are the norm, but my friend who I would be fishing with uses a 5wt and has been the last 3 seasons. He uses a 5wt and says I will be fine with it. Whilst my casting is not up to his standards, he knows me well and I trust his judgement. Thanks for the advice anyway

Richard

Aye it is.  :wink

Richard Tong

« Reply #5 on: 28/09/2012 at 19:28 »
Al,

Nice of you to say that, but either you've had too much to drink or are having a laugh. He's an AAPGAI Master and trust me, after 12+ years of fishing with him, I'm still in awe sometimes. The instances are too numerous to mention, but how about a 4lb 10oz trout on Don on dry with all his fly line out, rising on the far side of the river, got it first cast! Unbelievable. Thanks for the compliment anyway, unless you were taking the pish! :grin

Richard

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 28/09/2012 at 21:11 »

Winds are funny things in NZ ..... take the Nor'wester, if you're on the east coast it will probably be quite a strong one, pretty warm and you'll get sunburnt. If you're on the west coast it'll be a bloody wet one and then the sandflies will eat you :cool:

The Access will serve you well Ricardo, save your pennies for now and then spend them at Stu's Fly Shop, or on a few beers :wink

Enjoy!
Mike

Richard Tong

« Reply #7 on: 04/10/2012 at 14:35 »
Thanks for all the advice. Tried a number of rods. It was very close between the Sintrix and Helios and to be honest, the Sintrix just nosed it. I have 2 Helios rods anyway. So ended up buying the Sintrix plus a Streamflex as a back up 'just in case'. Already have a Lamson Velocity with a 5wt line on, which will be my back up reel, but purchased a Nautilus (black one) too, which is not a 'blingy' in the flesh as it appears in the catalogues. Was going to go for a Litespeed but already have a couple of these, so went for something different and it is very nice with a very adjustable and smooth drag. Will be getting a Hydros 3D WF5 at the weekend from the local Orvis shop in Harrogate.

After all that expenditure I'd better be going...but nothing booked so far! Trip will be to South Island. Will also stand me in good stead for my other two 'must do' destinations, Ruskie and Iceland. Dream on...

Richard

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 04/10/2012 at 14:53 »
Great stuff Richard ...... Enjoy! :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com