Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Marc Fauvet

Re: Pike's Chaos!
« Reply #15 on: 26/09/2012 at 10:39 »
Never had an issue as far as I can remember. I have lost fish, but no more than a barbed hook.
i wish more people would come to the same conclusion, Rob.  :z16   :z18

good one Djordje  :z16   :z13

cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 26/09/2012 at 14:55 »
Maybe you know some company which produce hooks like this. I think that VMC and Mustad make some models

Gamakatsu do a few sea hooks that may meet your requirements, but they are normally only available in the US.

The image does not do the hook justice..its a lightweight hook.

http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1062

Djordje Andjelkovic

« Reply #17 on: 26/09/2012 at 15:26 »
Hi Rob

Did you try these hooks or do you use these hooks fishing pike?

I should to try these Sakuma 545 Manta Extra Hooks, but make BL before fishing, of course.

Suggest any shops to bay it...

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 26/09/2012 at 15:59 »
I have tied a few flies on the Gamakatsus, but I have run out of them.

The Sakumas are available online in many different places. I get mine from here http://www.anglerschoice.co.uk/department/sakuma_manta/ or http://www.anglerschoice.co.uk/department/sakuma_manta_ext/ as they are not too far away.

Djordje Andjelkovic

« Reply #19 on: 26/09/2012 at 17:02 »
Thank you, will order and try

Will Shaw

« Reply #20 on: 12/10/2012 at 14:03 »
I'm another big fan of the Sakuma Mantas for pike. Really strong and great hookers. Also I like the short-ish shank.

On colour, I'm in a bit of a bright colours phase at the moment. Charteuse, Yellow, and bright orange - any combo of these have been really doing well for me in the last couple of years.

I do still like black/yellow, and white/red though.

And pink... :oops

W.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 12/10/2012 at 14:22 »
Interestingly, when I started fishing a local shallow loch with the fly I was catching loads of fish on fluro orange, bright yellow and..yes..Pink large flies. This lasted a season. The following season was slower on the bright flies and really tailed off at the end of the year. The third season, I really struggled, until I switched to black or dark green flies...and so the patten repeated.

The same thing has happened to friends fishing large jerkbaits. The fish went made for them, then tailed off, a change to smaller jerkbaits, they came back, and tailed off again.

Seems Pike learn to associate certain colours/size of lures with danger after a while.

Will Shaw

« Reply #22 on: 12/10/2012 at 18:30 »
Yep, I can buy that Rob. I guess the bigger the stimulus (i.e. the brighter the colour) the bigger the reaction, both positive and negative. Think I read something about that in wider biological studies somewhere - can't remember where though...

W.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #23 on: 12/10/2012 at 19:24 »
A+ Rob and Will  :z16

Djordje Andjelkovic

« Reply #24 on: 13/10/2012 at 17:11 »
Interestingly, when I started fishing a local shallow loch with the fly I was catching loads of fish on fluro orange, bright yellow and..yes..Pink large flies. This lasted a season. The following season was slower on the bright flies and really tailed off at the end of the year. The third season, I really struggled, until I switched to black or dark green flies...and so the patten repeated.

The same thing has happened to friends fishing large jerkbaits. The fish went made for them, then tailed off, a change to smaller jerkbaits, they came back, and tailed off again.

Seems Pike learn to associate certain colors/size of lures with danger after a while.

Yes I agree but this happened all during one season. There was the time when fluo, bright streamers work, then time when no one catch fish because do not have dark streamers in fly boxes  :z3 only who has this dark colors  :cool:
n
The same situation I saw with a spinner fisherman... no one catch pike with colored streamer and my friend with black lure caught 16 pikes!!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com