Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Djordje Andjelkovic

Pike's Chaos!
« on: 21/09/2012 at 20:51 »
Always the same story. Day before fishing I am in chaos.

Rearranging flies, streamers. Like today. And always tell to my self:

"From now, I NEVER, NEVER will not bring me in the same situation!" And, guess  :X1

Always ...

Sorry, I am hurry...go fishing pike tomorrow...

What about you??

Marc Fauvet

Re: Pike's Chaos!
« Reply #1 on: 22/09/2012 at 11:14 »
boy, they sure like bright colors !  :z4  :z13  :z16

how did it go, mate ?

cheers,
marc

Djordje Andjelkovic

« Reply #2 on: 23/09/2012 at 22:07 »
Hi Marc

Yesterday I had 3 pikes on my streamers. I tried all but the best was right side just in the middle.

3,4,6kg pikes.

Not good time for pike, to hot all day - sun, weather not clear, maybe half m visible in the water, but hard work give me the result

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 24/09/2012 at 08:22 »
Baby flies ;)

Strange how I have found dull, realistic flies to be better for the local Pike. I have tried bright, fluorescent flies, but a Perch pattern or something white and silver seem to work the best.

Are you using the old style Partridge Ad Swier hooks?

Djordje Andjelkovic

« Reply #4 on: 24/09/2012 at 11:22 »
Yes...

I think have enough for few next season.

Even BL, and some fisherman think they will lose pike, I'm not agree with this.

I cough enough pikes to say NOT.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 24/09/2012 at 12:16 »
Lots of nice bright flies Djordje, thanks for the photo, it is always interesting to see what works in different places :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #6 on: 24/09/2012 at 13:15 »
Are you using the old style Partridge Ad Swier hooks?

hey Rob,
is there a newer version ?

interesting comment about 'natural' vs 'gaudy' fly color. my experience is the same. i guess it just goes to show that fish can react very differently depending on what part of the world we're fishing.

cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 24/09/2012 at 16:32 »
Marc,
The Ad Swier hook was replaced in the UL with the Ad Swier "Absolute".

I have lost many Pike on these as I feel the wire is not heavy enough and the hook tends to open out, then spring back once pressure is released.

Here is an Absolute....

compared to the original Ad Swier...

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 24/09/2012 at 16:39 »
ok, thanks. i'd never heard of the Absolute referred to as an Ad Swier before but whatever, it sucks. might be nice for show flies as it's 'pretty' but it's not to be out in the water...  :X2

cheers,
marc

Peter McCallum

« Reply #9 on: 24/09/2012 at 17:17 »
ok, thanks. i'd never heard of the Absolute referred to as an Ad Swier before but whatever, it sucks. might be nice for show flies as it's 'pretty' but it's not to be out in the water...  :X2

cheers,
marc

Speaking to a friend yesterday who said the same thing. What hooks do you use Marc?

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #10 on: 25/09/2012 at 00:05 »
the original, Peter and a few various others with crushed barbs. i'm going more and more for shorter shanked hooks with tube-fly bodies. but then, i'm no longer in pike country...  :X2

cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 25/09/2012 at 09:00 »

cheers,
marc

Here you go http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co.uk/products/absolute-predator/27/

I am amazed that Ad came up with this design. It really is a very poor hook for large fish.

My favourite hook just now is the Sakuma Manta or Manta Extra. http://www.sakuma.co.uk/p/303/sakuma-545-manta-extra-hooks-new-size-1-0

The Sakumas are light but very strong and sharp, with a shorter shank that suits my style of pike fly. I am also slowly turning to tube flies for Pike. So much easier to use and less chance of damaging the fish. I also thionk the smaller hooks are less prone to coming out.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #12 on: 25/09/2012 at 14:16 »
It really is a very poor hook for large fish.
i could extend that thought to a lot of other species and that's just one of the reasons my signature doesn't have Partridge Pro-Team anymore...

are you fishing the Mantra crushed barb ? if so, how does it hold ?

cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 25/09/2012 at 15:27 »
Crushed indeed.

Never had an issue as far as I can remember. I have lost fish, but no more than a barbed hook. I am a firm believer that the slightly thicker wire helps hold the hook in, stopping tearing and moving like a fine wire hook does under pressure.

Funny enough, I work with the sister in law of someone high up in Partridge UK. I met him at a party and mentioned that some of the older hooks were better than modern ones and that some hooks. His response was that we the anglers were demanding the newer hooks. Fair enough, but they have to be upto the job. I have lost a load of fish on the Partridge Czech hook, and its all been down to them straightening.

Djordje Andjelkovic

« Reply #14 on: 25/09/2012 at 17:01 »
As I wrote I use almost all BL Hook for fishing pike. It will be easy to realize pike.

I make some changes to avoid some problems, problems with loosing pike.

As you know with a both hook Bl and non BL when pike keep close mouth you think that you will take pike in net, grip, hand or other..opsssss pike open mouth and you losed pike!!!

How I avoid this. You can see photo. I maek little bit more change to see clear what I do. After I start using this...all pike are mine.  :wink

Maybe you know some company which produce hooks like this. I think that VMC and Mustad make some models

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com