Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

Fish from the tube today
« on: 16/09/2012 at 20:14 »
fish pics ahoy

This weekend I mostly went float tubing. Caught some fantastic wild trout, in incredibly beautiful places. Truly outstanding fish at times, very glad to have such waters within short driving range.  

Big yellow chap (not Homer Simpson)

Close up of gill plate:

More spotty than yellow:

The craft, my trusty Caddis Navigator II:

Mostly used the SLX Olive both days; nice!

thanks to Goooooolager's video last week for inspiring me to dust off the tube before the season ends

cheers
iain

ps, oh go on then, have another. All the trout were released, and all of them really pulled. Seeing the tail on this guy, i'm not surprised

Jim Eddie

Re: Fish from the tube today
« Reply #1 on: 16/09/2012 at 20:30 »
Nice photo's and some bonny troot Iain

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 16/09/2012 at 22:09 »
Cracking fish there Iain  :z16

Looks like you had a great day out.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 16/09/2012 at 22:27 »
Very nice Iain, some of those are colouring up nicely.

Euan Innes

« Reply #4 on: 17/09/2012 at 11:42 »
Lovely job Iain.
Wish I didn't have chores to do..... :z6

:z1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #5 on: 17/09/2012 at 13:21 »
Nice fish Iain.  To be fair Noel these fish tend to hold this colour most of the year, especially the bigger ones, the colour tends to get a tad deeper and white piping on the anal fin, other than that colour wise they're much and such.

Right that does it, must get up there again soon, otherwise it'll be too late again.

Allan L

PS At least i've the 'honour' of lifting the first fish of the season out of here, first cast on a damsel on the drop about a pound and quarter.  Always said i'd much rather be lucky than good. :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 20/09/2012 at 10:41 »
Great stuff Iain! Nice photos too!

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 21/09/2012 at 07:51 »
Great stuff Iain! Nice photos too!

Had a return trip to one of the lochs this week.

Caught a few, and enjoyed the time afloat, but the day was slightly disrupted by the disasters that befell my day's fishing partner, who suffered a sinking float tube (the mighty Red Oktober 1 has a breached hull and was emulating its submarine namesake); a lost fin, kicked off in the race shorewards; and a broken rod, which inexplicably became a 5-piece.

I lost a claret bumble, and dropped a sausage roll into the water, but otherwise emerged unscathed...

The Oktober will be in dry dock for examination and repair over the winter, sure to be re-launched next season!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 21/09/2012 at 08:04 »
Had a return trip to one of the lochs this week.

Caught a few, and enjoyed the time afloat, but the day was slightly disrupted by the disasters that befell my day's fishing partner, who suffered a sinking float tube (the mighty Red Oktober 1 has a breached hull and was emulating its submarine namesake); a lost fin, kicked off in the race shorewards; and a broken rod, which inexplicably became a 5-piece.

I lost a claret bumble, and dropped a sausage roll into the water, but otherwise emerged unscathed...

The Oktober will be in dry dock for examination and repair over the winter, sure to be re-launched next season!

Oh my god that's scary!!!!! I remember mr goolager almost dropping a sausage roll once a few years ago, it wasn't a pretty sight...and then to loose a fly as well. Hope you're ok???

Iain Cameron

« Reply #9 on: 21/09/2012 at 08:21 »
I remember mr goolager almost dropping a sausage roll once a few years ago, it wasn't a pretty sight...

i hyperventilated into an empty crisp poke for a few mins to recover from the food loss horror; the cheese'n'onion fumes soon restored me. I was just grateful it wasn't my scotch egg that I dropped!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #10 on: 21/09/2012 at 09:40 »
Fish were like torpedoes then?

Cheers
Mike

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 21/09/2012 at 13:26 »
All joking aside glad red oktober made it to dry dock and all aboard are safe (Ewan?) be interested to know what failed once the damage report is published?
Thinking of a solo voyage tomorrow, not so sure now...
Noel.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 21/09/2012 at 14:23 »
I have let a side bladder down at Haddo Noel, it felt safe enough leaning to one side and paddling in to the bank. Not so sure I'd feel comfortable on a big loch though!

Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #13 on: 21/09/2012 at 14:39 »
All joking aside glad red oktober made it to dry dock and all aboard are safe (Ewan?)

It wasn't Euan, it was a Uni colleague, experienced boat angler, trying tubing for 1st time. He just had a bad day at the office (but loved the tubing and fishing!) and had a life vest on anyhow.

Wasn't a catastrophic blow out, more of a steady, slow leak. Out of the water, we could't really here the air escaping unless pressure was applied to the tube walls.

I've never felt unsafe in the tube when solo, I've seen folks standing up in boats doing crazy stuff who look more at risk. Then again, my tube has 4 separate bladders so I'd have to be shotgunned before it sank!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 21/09/2012 at 19:36 »
Yeah,
Glad there wasn't any serious outcome - lost fin, broken rod & reduced dinner aside.

Can you name the tube type Iain?

The only time I've ever felt unsure of myself was on my maiden solo outing on Lochindorb but then that's only to be expected, oh and also when there are seals around, gulp!

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com