Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Loxiafan

Re: Personal Reflections on Don Trout Season 2012
« Reply #15 on: 07/02/2013 at 15:13 »
Roll on the 2013 season planning on giving French nymphing a good try early on in the year treated myself to a new 3 weight for the job.  Also got a go-pro so hopefully will manage to post some videos if I can figure out how to work the thing.

Copycat !  :z4

Mmmm I wonder if you were howking all these big fish at the beat I met you and Liam in August (at the car park well after dark)...........a place frequented by Mr. Goolager ( only beat I see him).

My 'lowight' was losing a monster and definite PB at Kintore, but for once I didn't do anything wrong just one of this things, and hook just pulled out, no breakages last season ! I roughed it out at a lesser beat, difficult fishing but did pretty good all things considered.

Can't wait, but still a few flees to do as I am stuck doing business related chores the now !

L

Michael Buchan

« Reply #16 on: 07/02/2013 at 16:01 »
The beat we met you was the one i lost the fish, liam also lost a peach at that beat on a seperate night but only really started fishing there later on in the season most of the big fish we saw/ caught were further up.  Sure to see more of me this year as will be planing on hitting the lower beats earlier on next year as its only 10 mins from my house.

Michael

Mike Barrio

« Reply #17 on: 07/02/2013 at 16:19 »
There are nice fish on all the beats on the Don in my experience, you just need to spend a while getting to know each individual beat and you will find them :wink
Which is pretty much what Michael Wind Knot was saying in his post :z16

Best wishes,
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 07/02/2013 at 18:21 »
If you want to know a beat you've got to put in the hours.
Walk it as often as you can, in all conditions and at all hours.

'If your fly isn't in the water then you won't catch fish' may be a valid argument but time spent sitting and watching can be a far greater investment than fishing for the sake of it.

The older one gets the harder it is to stay out late on a school night in summer but more often than not this is when the true magnificence of the river can be seen.

Reading forum reports can be a great guide but being out there and smelling the coffee is what it's all about.

Tim, I think you are getting that runt Liam mixed up the gentleman fisher  Mr Noel Chielong. 

:X2   Only joking Leroy.

Go pro z and French nymphing,  how very Bohemian!

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #19 on: 07/02/2013 at 18:54 »
Cheers Michael,

I have a suspicion that that is where some big lunkers came from last season, one individual angler in particular. Agree Mike, but some beats seem to have more biggies  :z8

Going to stick to my preferred bitties this year again though !

L

Noel Kelly

« Reply #20 on: 07/02/2013 at 19:22 »
Ah yes, there is definitely a stretch in the evenings. Caught myself thinking about a few favourite spots today, looks like I'm not the only one!
Last year was an interesting one and also my least productive in terms of larger fish. It was also my first year in the adaa. 
Previous years I only fished one beat and I fished it a lot so got to know it really well.
Last year so much water to choose from i maybe rushed about a bit 2 much. i did get to fish most of the beats though so thats good research. I'm not sure how many nights I spent after one particular fish but it was a lot. Never hooked it btw. (Neither did Iain or Liam when I took them for a shot at the BIG bugger)
Other than that it was a case of few opportunities badly taken. I struggled to see rises late at night as well not to mention see my fly on the water.
I remember one late night with young bum where he was going frantic about the 3lbr plus rising in front of me. I couldn't see a feckin thing!!!!
Timely reminder to get myself to the opticians.  :z5

Loxiafan

« Reply #21 on: 07/02/2013 at 21:06 »
Last year was an interesting one and also my least productive in terms of larger fish. It was also my first year in the adaa. 

:z4  :z4 Good move then ? !  :wink

L

TimTheFlier

« Reply #22 on: 07/02/2013 at 21:51 »
Goolager

Tim, I think you are getting that runt Liam mixed up the gentleman fisher  Mr Noel Chielong. 

You're absolutely right - :oops ... it's been hard enough learning the names of all the bloody flies let alone getting to grips with peoples handles !

It was definitely Liam who tolerated me the most through the season (maybe that was the real reason for the move down under !), but I did mean Noel (aka An Chuileog) who was my first introductee (is that really a word ?) - apologies Noel - the intention was right and the thanks heartfelt, just an old brain struggling to remember names.  You gave me a warm welcome and started me on the path.

Looking forward to seeing you guys this year.

Tim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #23 on: 07/02/2013 at 21:58 »
Tim, word of advice..................if you see Noel, go to the opposite bank and upstream that's where you will find me - the man's a pest  :z4

Glad you are learning lots and more importantly having fun.

See you at the opening ceremony (work permitting)

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #24 on: 07/02/2013 at 22:03 »
:z4  :z4 Good move then ? !  :wink

L

Hmmm jury is still out on that Lindsay!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #25 on: 07/02/2013 at 22:08 »
Goolager

You're absolutely right - :oops ... it's been hard enough learning the names of all the bloody flies let alone getting to grips with peoples handles !

It was definitely Liam who tolerated me the most through the season (maybe that was the real reason for the move down under !), but I did mean Noel (aka An Chuileog) who was my first introductee (is that really a word ?) - apologies Noel - the intention was right and the thanks heartfelt, just an old brain struggling to remember names.  You gave me a warm welcome and started me on the path.

Looking forward to seeing you guys this year.

Tim

Tim, what's with all this "old" business? If I remember correctly you are as young as me!!!!! Now, Iain (the fat bloke fishing downstream of me where all the fish have sore mouths) ya that fella. Now he's old.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #26 on: 07/02/2013 at 22:09 »
Good to see that you guys are noticing the days starting to draw out too :z4

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #27 on: 08/02/2013 at 15:47 »
Aye it's been a quiet Winter but Old Lindsey is back getting everyones dander up  :z7 and I can now call off my PI as Windy Knot has resurfaced.

Roll on the Troot season.

Iain

Loxiafan

« Reply #28 on: 08/02/2013 at 16:45 »
Aye it's been a quiet Winter but Old Lindsey is back getting everyones dander up  :z7

WTF Ean ?  :z6

She can easily go away again, and take her Frogs Fanny and proper Pearsall's 6A wi her !  :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #29 on: 08/02/2013 at 16:50 »
....and again, whits wi all this "old" pish  ? !

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com