THE SAGE MAN

Strike Indicators
« Reply #15 on: 23/04/2007 at 19:50 »
THEY SHOULD BE BANNED IT IS NOT FLY FISHING

WELL SAID ANDREW P  :lol:

Andy.X.

Strike Indicators
« Reply #16 on: 23/04/2007 at 20:03 »
i read diverdave's bit and thought wow but i was nearly sleeping by the end,then the next guy came on and said something about sheep and wool but surely it would be impossible to cast a sheep and the splash would probably scare all the fish. :z4

Sandy Nelson

Strike Indicators
« Reply #17 on: 24/04/2007 at 08:21 »
the splash would probably scare all the fish

Nah!  It attracts them like pellets being thrown in :z4

I thought that people used these indicators on bright days so it would shield the glare from the fish and encourage them closer to the surface :lol:

Sandy

duncanm

Strike Indicators
« Reply #18 on: 24/04/2007 at 09:52 »
So far we have had quite a lot of comments saying "It's not fly fishing" - Might be interesting to see how people actually define fly fishing.

To me it is fishing where

1  the primary force for casting is the weight of the line being cast and the tempo of the casting action.

2  the 'lure' being used is made of feathers fur or artifical materials as opposed to 'food items' such as baits.

the wikipedia page (As a start) is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_fishing

Anybody got any other definitions of what IS fly fishing?

Strike Indicators
« Reply #19 on: 01/05/2007 at 14:46 »
The eyesore  
My defination of fly fishing is on bigger waters using buzzers, nymphs, wets, drys, lures to try to intice a take or out whit the fish your after.
Then you have got small trout fisheries that are over stocked,, that are not hard to catch a fish in.The use of  methods which only can be classed as B _ _ _ _ _ float and flea fishing. Which in my opinon is there to catch as much fish as possible in a short space of time ,Which is not good for the fish ,or fishery.In my opinon would resut in less damaged fish. If you have to use one use a Fly that is capable of holding up buzzers and nothing else,ie lures. I said i would not mention this topic again so i have named it differently. You could still have good Fishing  with the first defination in small still water fisheries and have a great day.
   Henry from thewaterbouys :z2                            
                                       BAN THE EYESORE The eyesore

spiros

Strike Indicators
« Reply #20 on: 01/05/2007 at 21:13 »
Henry you said that you fish lures sometimes well some think that stripping lures aint flyfishing.I think it is each to there own as long as we are within the fishery rules then it shouldnt bother anyone else as they should be concentrating on the end of there fly line.I like to fish spiders/buzzers under a dry so thats my indicator if people dont like it well so be it it suits me and im sticking to it.No matter what sport you do there is always someone doing something different but thats life.God how many times we gonna go over this topic?

:grin:

Paul

Strike Indicators
« Reply #21 on: 02/05/2007 at 00:28 »
Hi Paul

I was using lures 30 years ago and some are still being used today .Ace of Spades for one still a great fly, Muddlers,but all had to be to a certain  size, or you where frowned upon as a cheat. Now we have lures 3 inches long and people are still not happy, they have to have the eyesore to hold it up. This is not fly fishing and the eye sore should be put in its rightfull place in the bait fishing section.  

Nice to here from you paul

Henry from thewaterbouys :z2

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com