Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Hamish Young

A day on the Findhorn
« on: 10/09/2012 at 18:17 »
I managed a day with a chum on the Findhorn recently, we went to a beat that is upstream of Tomatin and very water dependant.
Although we had 'some' water it really was not enough and nice place that it is I suspect this (my second trip to the beat) will be my last. But... in good news... there was enough for me to get some 'action':

Nice hen fish and quite coloured, pictures make it look darker than I recall but she was going back regardless.
Succesful outfit was a prototype (when am I not fishing prototypes :? :!) fly on a size 11 and best described as a 'bang up to date' version of an old favourite fly I used to tie and fish with on the Lochy that I call the Squirrel & Orange. Rod was an Orvis Helios 9'6" #6wt matched to an Orvis Encounter IV reel and a Barrio SLX line with a 5' fast sinking polyleader on the end - just the sweetest outfit I've used for small river work.

The rod did, as I knew it would, cope admirably and I have to say that Encounter reel has a bloody good drag system which is more than up to the job and not 'notchy' it was a nice smooth reel to fight a fish from.

I connected with another fish on a stripped sunray but it fell off  :roll By that time of day we had lost 4" of water and my motivation levels did the same as the fish - disappeared. Still, a fun day out  :wink

:z3

Iain Cameron

Re: A day on the Findhorn
« Reply #1 on: 10/09/2012 at 20:04 »
great stuff, must have been fun playing it on a 6wt!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 11/09/2012 at 12:10 »
Very good fun by the look of things H.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2012 at 12:32 »
Big fish on a nice outfit  :z16 kwality!

Iain

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 11/09/2012 at 13:23 »
Good stuff H.
Wee point of note the Findhorn's a quality troot water way up there, did you see anythin movin?

Hamish Young

« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2012 at 17:10 »
great stuff, must have been fun playing it on a 6wt!
Hell yes  :z18

Very good fun by the look of things H.

Hell yes (again)  :cool:

Big fish on a nice outfit  :z16 kwality!

Absolutely, it really is a sweet sweet set up :z16

Good stuff H.
Wee point of note the Findhorn's a quality troot water way up there, did you see anythin movin?

Did indeed, quite a lot of them in fact. Best I saw went maybe 3/4lb and I did get two 'suicidal' browns on the Sunray which would maybe have gone 1/2lb added together  :z7 I think the stretch of water above where we were fishing looked more promising for the browns...... maybe next year  :wink

Matt Henderson

« Reply #6 on: 11/09/2012 at 17:38 »
I did get two 'suicidal' browns on the Sunray which would maybe have gone 1/2lb added together  :z7

Last night I had one take a Sunray tied on an inch and a quarter aluminium tube, and a five inch wing. The wing was a full inch longer than the fish! Greedy wee buggers!

Allan Liddle

« Reply #7 on: 12/09/2012 at 13:50 »
Hell yes  :z18

Hell yes (again)  :cool:

Absolutely, it really is a sweet sweet set up :z16

Did indeed, quite a lot of them in fact. Best I saw went maybe 3/4lb and I did get two 'suicidal' browns on the Sunray which would maybe have gone 1/2lb added together  :z7 I think the stretch of water above where we were fishing looked more promising for the browns...... maybe next year  :wink

Happy to join you far a wee Fact Finding Foray.  :wink :wink

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com