Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Kym Goldsworthy

SLX vs GPX?
« on: 11/08/2012 at 07:33 »
Hi Mike
I'm looking for a new line for my Redington CPS 6wt. I've been using a Sci Angler GPX which I really like for fishing double nymph rigs in NZ but will still be fine for dries when needed. I've got your GT90 and Mallard DT lines on my G2 5wt. Great lines by the way  :z16
The GPX being half a weight heavier really suits my casting style but I wondered how you think an SLX would compare.
cheers
Kym

Hamish Young

Re: SLX vs GPX?
« Reply #1 on: 11/08/2012 at 08:43 »
Can't speak for Mike, but I think you'll find the SLX far superior to the GPX in every way.

:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 11/08/2012 at 09:22 »
The SLX will suit your Redington CPS just fine, the #6 line was developed and tested predominantly on a Helios 906 tip flex which has a very similar stiffness & action to the Redington.  I like it for general fishing between about 20' & 70' with dries, nymphs & anything else that you may want to throw at a trout.  With the right leader set up it will carry just about anything and present it well.

Cheers

Ben

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #3 on: 11/08/2012 at 13:22 »
Thanks for the replies. I have a date with some Tassie trout in a couple of months. Sounds like the SLX will be the go.
cheers
kym

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 11/08/2012 at 22:47 »
Hi Kym :z16

Thanks Hamish & Ben ...... I agree, the SLX should suit the Redington very nicely :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #5 on: 12/08/2012 at 08:37 »
Hi Mike
Order sent for an olive 6wt. Looking forward to trying it out.
Thanks again for the advise.
Kym

Kym Goldsworthy

« Reply #6 on: 03/09/2012 at 11:13 »
Hi Mike
Well, the SLX arrived last week and finally got to have a lawn cast with it today. Wow. Felt very accurate for short range stuff and when I tried the old heave ho was easily able to cast the whole line.
Now if someone can talk to my boss and get me more time on the water...
cheers
Kym

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 03/09/2012 at 20:52 »
Hi Kym :cool:
I am really pleased that you like the SLX :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com