Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

James Abel

Banana fingers
« on: 29/08/2012 at 21:49 »
Hi guys I'm new to tying and have hands like shovels. I have been breaking thread can I wrap over it or is it start again :z8
Thanks for any replies j :z18

Rob Brownfield

Re: Banana fingers
« Reply #1 on: 29/08/2012 at 22:18 »
Depends where it breaks. On my Pike flies I sometimes break the thread when finishing the head. I just wrap over as the head is so big anyway.

On smaller flies this is harder to do as it can bulk out the head/body.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 29/08/2012 at 22:30 »
Forget about the flies for now, hook in vice start the thread then wrap the thread steadily increasing tension till the  thread breaks. Then do it again and again..............................and again till you get used to the point where the thread breaks. Don't put any more pressure than that on your thread  :grin

Oh and make sure you don't have any rags on your fingers/nails which will catch the thread and maybe break it. Also check your vice for rags.  :z16

That's presuming it's not the bobbin holder which is your problem  :shock :X1

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #3 on: 29/08/2012 at 23:27 »
i'm with Peter, learn to not break it first ! it's an invaluable skill that will stay with you for the rest of your tying career  :cool:

btw, what thread are you using ? some are well... shite

cheers,
marc

James Abel

« Reply #4 on: 30/08/2012 at 07:10 »
It's all flybox materials I use im just tying lures just now. I don't think the fingers could manage a 18 spider but in time I hopefully will.  :z12 all the best j

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 30/08/2012 at 09:14 »
I don't think the fingers could manage a 18 spider but in time I hopefully will. 

Ah it's 'I can't tie wee flies' syndrome you're suffering from. If you can't tie 18 spiders the tie 10's then go down to 12's then 14's.....think you can see we're going. :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 30/08/2012 at 14:48 »
Ah it's 'I can't tie wee flies' syndrome you're suffering from. If you can't tie 18 spiders the tie 10's then go down to 12's then 14's.....think you can see we're going. :z16

Or dress size 10 hooks short as one would do with Clyde style spiders :)

thursodog

« Reply #7 on: 07/11/2012 at 20:02 »
What the others are saying + your thread tension may be too much for the thread you are using.
Each time i fit a new bobbin holder with a spool of thread i make sure the tension when pulling of thread through the bobbin holder is nice and smooth with only a small amount of tension, this too can help with breakages and is somit i do without thinking these days.
Hope this helps.

CW.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #8 on: 07/11/2012 at 20:18 »
What the others are saying + your thread tension may be too much for the thread you are using.
Each time i fit a new bobbin holder with a spool of thread i make sure the tension when pulling of thread through the bobbin holder is nice and smooth with only a small amount of tension, this too can help with breakages and is somit i do without thinking these days.
Hope this helps.

CW.

Good point  :z16

thursodog

« Reply #9 on: 07/11/2012 at 21:56 »
Cheers.
Banana fingers are no excuse either, have you seen the mitts on Brian Burnett and Paul Little.
SHOVELS :X1

Eddie Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 07/11/2012 at 22:21 »
Chris,
agreed, I have a mate Stan who used to play rugby league for Wigan and he has giant hands and fingers but he ties beutiful flies.

Regards,

Eddie.

Crackaig

« Reply #11 on: 26/12/2012 at 14:40 »
Where is your thread breaking? If it is in or around the tube of your bobbin then you may have a burr or grove in the bobbin tube. The best solution is a bobbin with either a full ceramic tube or ceramic inserts in the end(s) Most metal tubes will grove very quickly.

When your thread breaks the first thing to do is not panic. If there is a tag end of thread available put your hackle pliers on it. That will keep the wraps tight. Restart your thread, then tie down the loose end with a couple of wraps, don't try to re start and tie down at the same time. Trim out both tag ends (one from when the thread broke and one from when you restarted), and continue as normal.

Cheers,
C.

James Abel

« Reply #12 on: 28/12/2012 at 14:27 »
Hi guys I've got it sorted the bobbins I bought from eBay had a lot to do with it  :X2 they are all now in the bin and I have bought some dr slick ceramics and what a difference. I am still tying lures mostly but did tie my first dries I'm the summer and they work :z13 nouthing to fancy and I won't post a photo it would make you laugh :X1but my flies work and it feels good when its your fly that catches the fish. Merry Xmas and happy new year all the best j :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com