Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

gregh

Introducing children to the fly...?
« on: 22/08/2012 at 21:00 »
Hi Folks,

Just wondering what the consensus is on a suitable age to introduce children to flyfishing? My boy's 5 in September and desperate to join in, but is he still a bit young do you think? Obviously he's gonna be fully decked out in sunglasses etc etc for any wayward casts and i'm not expecting him to be up for an all day session but what do you reckon?

Cheers, tight lines
Greg

Tam Greenock

Re: Introducing children to the fly...?
« Reply #1 on: 22/08/2012 at 22:50 »
I was eight when my dad started taking me fly fishing.
I started taking my son when he was ten.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #2 on: 22/08/2012 at 23:00 »
If you want to take him at five then make sure he has a sensible rod. Had a number of 5-7 year olds on Sunday who were knackered after 5 mins using a 9' rod. Donald downs used to have a height stick which matched rod length to child height ( and line length) to help them cast easily. I really want to find out about those rod/height ratios so if anybody knows where to find out I'd be grateful

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 22/08/2012 at 23:11 »
Something small & light but it totally depends upon the child and how strong they are.  Don't think it exists but, something about 9' for a #5 line with a fighting butt bigger than those used on single handers but not quite as big as on a switch rod would be ideal.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 23/08/2012 at 08:30 »
Please, if you are taking any children fly fishing, please please please make sure they have eye protection of some kind.  :z16 :z5

Oh..and keep them away from me ;)

Kev Danby

« Reply #5 on: 23/08/2012 at 10:10 »
My son was a few day old when I purchased a fly rod for him (me). Mr Soundmannie was selling a fulling mill 8ft 6 #4 and mini me was around 4 when I first took him fishing at Loch Insch and Haddo. To be honest i did most of the casting but he took great delight in either landing the fish once hooked playing them. The concept of returning the fish was lost on him all fish to be chapped.

The key thing is to only fish as long as he wants I've had 1 to 4 hr sessions I think this keeps their interest and enjoyment it is at the end of the day a big adventure rather than a fishing trip.

He now wants to go fishing all the time but he is more able to cast a spinning rod (spinner or lead) so we have been on the Sea alot more recently I'm confident he will progress to fly fishing as he gets a wee bit older. He can use a fly rod but only in very short periods. 

As already mention it important to make sure he is well protected and warm  hat, glasses, waterproofs etc. From experience a spare set of clothes especially sock and footwear.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 23/08/2012 at 10:34 »
My daughter started on a short Pole knocking out small roach and the like at the age of 4. She is very good at handling fish and removing hooks and is now starting to ask about fly fishing at the age of 11.

I do think fly fishing is too difficult for really young kids and starting them on something else (please, not the bubble float and worm) and letting them get interested in fishing first, then have them progress (or regress depending on your outlook :)) onto fly fishing when they are old enough to handle a fly rod is the way to go :)

Peter McCallum

« Reply #7 on: 23/08/2012 at 13:21 »
a fighting butt bigger than those used on single handers but not quite as big as on a switch rod would be ideal.

Yep. those little 'uns on saturday had to use the bit of the reel fitting to double hand the 9' rods.

Mind you wee Robbie :z13 was desperate to hit the Salmon rivers.....Snap tee & Snake roll?? ...... No problem  :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 23/08/2012 at 18:21 »
I guess every child has different capabilities, attitudes and attention spans.

My little spawn of Satan seems to work the wee bait rod ok (3 ft  tip section of fly rod with a half wells handle and up locking fly reel seat coupled with a tiny fixed spool reel. Backing off the drag a good bit lets the fish please itself without snapping everything or him getting a soaking.
The last trip out (Lochter) I took the 2wt TXL out and threw on a dry, referring to the old clock face analogy he loves to use the 9 to 3 arc which I Imagine is the industry accepted one in kiddytown. Any attempt to assist  was greeted with the usual growl and request to cast for him, which wasn't an issue as the aim was to hopefully introduce the excitement of a trout rising to a fly and the feel of a fish on an outfit which isn't hindered by the resistance of a bubble float.
Once he got a bit of a feel for keeping a bend in the rod, giving the fish line, etc. I think he enjoyed the experience.
As for him actually taking more than a fleeting interest in the casting side of things..........I think he is too young and will be quite happy to have me throw out a dry for him for a while yet,  fine by me.

Greg, absolutely, 5 years old is not too young - time at the water is never wasted and casting a dry or 'Klink & buzzer' 10 feet on a lightweight outfit is both easily achievable and more than enough to cover a heap of fish at a fishery.

Best of luck

Iain

Euan Innes

« Reply #9 on: 23/08/2012 at 19:26 »
Mr Soundmannie was selling a fulling mill 8ft 6 #4 and mini me was around 4 when I first took him fishing at Loch Insch and Haddo.

You still got that rod Kev? I really liked that line weight but it was too short for the fishing I do. Does he still use it?
I like the thought that an old rod o :z4 :z4 :z4f mine started the next generation fishing  :z16 :grin

Oh..and keep them away from me

+1 Rob  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z1

Kev Danby

« Reply #10 on: 23/08/2012 at 20:55 »
You still got that rod Kev? I really liked that line weight but it was too short for the fishing I do. Does he still use it?
I like the thought that an old rod o :z4 :z4 :z4f mine started the next generation fishing  :z16 :grin

+1 Rob  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z1

Yep the rod is still going strong it is a great rod. The only issue is he likes watching knobson green and the excellent river monsters so I do need to remind him it is not marlin class. There are a few trout out there needing a neck brace.

Dutchfly

« Reply #12 on: 24/08/2012 at 07:11 »
Hi guys,
This rod has been developed especially for kids: http://www.balticflyfisher.com/acatalog/Kids_Rod.html

Jeroen

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #13 on: 24/08/2012 at 14:09 »
Hi guys,
This rod has been developed especially for kids: http://www.balticflyfisher.com/acatalog/Kids_Rod.html

Jeroen

Very interesting...I feel an experiment coming on! I will see if my blank roller would be interested in producing some "interesing" coloured blanks! They already have a suitable length/actioned blank.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com