Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Kidd

Daiwa Whisker 11'3" - 5-7wt
« on: 13/08/2012 at 16:25 »
Hello,

I've gone all nostalgic and got myself a brand new and un-used Daiwa Whisker fly rod as in the title.

I just don't know which line to put on it...any ideas.  I think my WF7F GT140 might be a bit much for the rod as it seems to be a fairly slow bendy beasty when i waggle it.

This could be one for Hamish!

Cheers,

Steven

Hamish Young

Re: Daiwa Whisker 11'3" - 5-7wt
« Reply #1 on: 13/08/2012 at 19:53 »
Waggly noodly shit :? :! je n' dinnae think so pas  :wink

Bung a 6 SLX on it and you'll probably find it's quite nice to fish with  :z16
Relaxing. Slow. Nice.... in an old fashioned and not unpleasant way :wink

:z3

Euan Innes

« Reply #2 on: 13/08/2012 at 21:51 »
What he said.
An old Irish mate of mine fished one all the time and the #6 worked really well on it. That was a while back now and with an Aircel line so a #6 SLX would be ace. I seem to recall that it played fish really well and was the dogs from a drifting boat.

Go use it and enjoy it  :z16

:z1

Loxiafan

« Reply #3 on: 14/08/2012 at 00:42 »
My 10' 6-8# WF casts really well with a Barrio Mallard WF 7.....for me anyway ! Not too fast, not too slow.

Lindsay

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 14/08/2012 at 09:06 »
I have the 7-9 version of that rod somewhere..I used to use an 8 weight Cortland 444 WF on it.

I should dig it out as in reality it must be one of the first "switch" rods. It has a handle that plugs into the butt turning it into a double hander of sorts. Could be interesting :)

Steven Kidd

« Reply #5 on: 14/08/2012 at 09:28 »
Hi all,

I went out last night and gave the rod a try with my 7wt GT140.  Wanted to try casting in a wind and was not disappointed.  Works perfect, snake rolls from a boat are mega!

I have ordered a WF6F for the rod to try as well, just to see if i can lighten the load on my arm!

I love this rod. especially the thistle and the 'Made in Scotland' 

All should be good for Leven on Sunday.

Cheers,

Steven

Andy Wren

« Reply #6 on: 16/08/2012 at 16:24 »
Hi all,

I went out last night and gave the rod a try with my 7wt GT140.  Wanted to try casting in a wind and was not disappointed.  Works perfect, snake rolls from a boat are mega!

I have ordered a WF6F for the rod to try as well, just to see if i can lighten the load on my arm!

I love this rod. especially the thistle and the 'Made in Scotland'  

All should be good for Leven on Sunday.

Cheers,

Top man ,a proper boat rod ,I have to confess to owning 2x B&W ,a sage and an ancient home made all in 11.3 ,on the days when the top dropper works the xtra length brings me a fair few more takes follows and swirls.
Mick my regular boat partner has the grays 11.3 and thats another fine rod in this configuration.

Steven

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com