Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

flyloon

little bit of advise please
« on: 12/08/2012 at 20:24 »
Hi all iam new to the world of fly fishing but not to fishing have done lots of sea and course fishing over the years  have just purchased a fly rod that is 6-7 weight after been advised it is the best weight for a novice it is fitted with weight forward line what would be best size of flies to use with this set up? is the rule of thumb to divide hook size by three to work out tippet or leader size would this set up be a well balanced set for a novice to fish for trout on a river any advise would be great if you can spare the time,  looking forward to looking at forum topics and at some point be able to post some of my own fly fishing storys lol thanks guys

Jim Eddie

Re: little bit of advise please
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2012 at 20:50 »
Which river do you plan to fish Loon ?

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2012 at 23:23 »
Oh yes, Flyloon.... http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4568.msg38015#msg38015

Still waiting for a reply to that one chap ???

flyloon

« Reply #3 on: 13/08/2012 at 11:31 »
cheers lads been most helpful plan to fish the don

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 13/08/2012 at 12:39 »
cheers lads been most helpful plan to fish the don

Here you are Loon some advice for fishing the Don

http://fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-trout-tactics.html

:z18

Jim

flyloon

« Reply #5 on: 13/08/2012 at 14:10 »
thanks jim that was very really helpful threed  thank you all for taking the time to offer advise though i am starting on a buget and have purchased a cheaper rod i would like to buy a decent fly line ,leader and tippet anyone recomend good quality one to look out for as there is so much to choose from sorry to ask so many questions just looking to have a decent set up

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com