Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Steven Sinclair

Line advice needed
« on: 06/08/2012 at 21:08 »
Guys,

I was fortunate enough to receive two VERY nice fishing related wedding presents this Saturday.

I had mentioned to my father that I was planning to have a go at the Sailfish here in Malaysia and he presented me with a 14# Daniellson Anti Reverse reel which was later matched to a 9' 13# Abel Fly Rod from a family friend.

My only sticking point now is what line to match to this outfit.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what to look at?

:z18

Steven.

Ben Dixon

Re: Line advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 06/08/2012 at 22:50 »
Rio Leviathan would probably be your best bet.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 07/08/2012 at 08:57 »
http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Cortland-444-Precision-Tropic-Plus-Billfish-Fly-Line---Save-30---5031.html

A 65 foot Marlin/Billfish line designed purely for them. No need for long lines as a 30 foot cast is a very long cast in this situation.

These lines get a great write up.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 07/08/2012 at 10:04 »
43' head?  Seems a bit long for one shot casts from a boat and also seems rather light compared to the Rio.  I've used the Rio and can vouch for it turning over and deliering fast, built on 70lb core.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 07/08/2012 at 12:31 »
43' head? 

Where did you 43 feet from? Tiz 65 feet in total, can't find details on head length but I know this is the goto line for Flyfishergirl...and that says it all ;)

http://www.flyfishergirl.com/?page_id=447

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 07/08/2012 at 12:51 »
Where did you 43 feet from?

From their taper charts Rob!!

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 07/08/2012 at 15:19 »
Could not find any charts for that line as its discontinued...lol

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 07/08/2012 at 15:27 »

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #8 on: 13/08/2012 at 14:25 »
since when do Abel make fly rods ?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #9 on: 14/08/2012 at 09:10 »
since when do Abel make fly rods ?

Stopped making them back in 2006. Made from 2 weight right through to 14 weight.

All sorts of reasons why they stopped, but this is my favourite reason of all time, found on the Flyforums site...

"From what I have been told, the reason for discontinuing the rods is that due to the resins, glues & carbon dust involved in the manufacturing process the employees health insurance contributions from their salaries was increased three fold. The decision was therefore taken to cease production."

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #10 on: 17/08/2012 at 00:51 »
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses!

Sorry for my delayed response it has been a tad hectic with the wedding etc but that's me back down in Malaysia.

Marc,

I will try and post a pic of said rod when I get home this evening.

Cheers

Steven.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com