Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Barrio GT125
« on: 04/08/2012 at 19:58 »
Hi folks :cool:

The new Barrio GT125 is now available from stock and is live on the website at http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-fly-lines.html

The Barrio GT125 replaces the Barrio GT140 and offers superb line control, stability in the air and turnover.

Our new 73 ft head helps to achieve great line speed and the reduced running line diameter over the last 25 ft improves line shoot when pushing for maximum distance.

The Barrio GT125 excels at distance! But like the GT140, the new line is very much a fishing line and it performs well at all ranges!

Best wishes
Mike

Steven Kidd

Re: Barrio GT125
« Reply #1 on: 12/08/2012 at 17:03 »
Hi All,

I got my WF5F GT125 through the post on Friday, as usual great delivery time and a nice wee note from Mike which gives the service a nice personnal touch, cheers Mike  :z16

I rigged up my line on my Sage TCR and went for a test drive on the River Don.  I already have the GT140 and the SLX and so was excited to see what I could do with the 125.

I fished czech nymph style for a while and found the line loaded at short range......perfect.

I fished dries for a while upstream and could land and turnover size 14 dries delicately.....perfect.

I fished wets down and across and could cast real long distance and upstream mend the line easily without moving the tippet......perfect.

I could snake roll, single spey and snap T the line just as easy as my SLX.

Is there anything this line can't do?....it is just as i said before, PERFECT.

Thanks Mike,

Cheers,

Steven

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 12/08/2012 at 17:45 »
Great stuff Steven .... I'm really pleased that you like it :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 12/08/2012 at 19:48 »
The GT125 gets my approval, very controllable line and the prototypes allowed me to hit the best distances I've ever achieved in competition at the Sexyloops gathering this year.  Very very nice long bellied fly line  :z16

Cheers

Ben

Rudy

« Reply #4 on: 30/10/2012 at 05:35 »
Hi Mike,
Are you also going to make this line in another color?

Cheers,
Rudy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 30/10/2012 at 09:50 »
Hi Mike,
Are you also going to make this line in another color?

Cheers,
Rudy

Hi Rudy :z16

This is not a plan at the moment, but it is a possibility ........ What colour would you like?

Best wishes
Mike

Rudy

« Reply #6 on: 30/10/2012 at 18:36 »
Mike,
maybe a nice (two-tone) Olive kind of thing. Like you did with the SLX. I like that combo a lot.
Normally I dye my lines if the colour doesn't suit me, but to dye it from orange to something I like is going to be difficult  :shock
For casting the orange is great, but for fishing i prefer other colors.

Thanks.
Cheers,
Rudy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 30/10/2012 at 18:38 »
Have you tried the GT90 Rudy?

Best wishes
Mike

Rudy

« Reply #8 on: 30/10/2012 at 20:52 »
Yes I have Mike. It's a nice line, but the taper of the 125 looks very, very good to me.
better than than the GT90 i think. If I need a shorter head I prefer the SLX over the GT90.
As I said. I think the taper of the GT125 is just right. From what I can see on the diagrams, it just shouts
CONTROL on all distances. I will definitely get one for casting, but I would love to have it as a fishing line in a different color as well. It looks like it is a perfect pair with the SLX, which I really love.

Mike you really do make killer flylines. And apart from the quality of your products I also consider it a big luxury that it is so easy to talk to you and share my thoughts and ideas and express my wishes. Thanks a lot.

Cheers,
Rudy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 30/10/2012 at 21:10 »
Hi Rudy ..... thanks for the very kind comments! :z16

I will put some thought in to the possibility of a second colour :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Rudy

« Reply #10 on: 30/10/2012 at 21:16 »
Mike,

that's great. Any info on head weights?

Cheers
Rudy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 30/10/2012 at 21:22 »
Hi Rudy

Not at the moment sorry, the lines are true at 30 ft and the head details might possibly go on the website in the near future.

Best wishes
Mike

Rudy

« Reply #12 on: 30/10/2012 at 21:25 »
Mike, that's good enough for me...
Thanks.

Cheers,
Rudy

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 02/11/2012 at 12:01 »
I've been using a few tweaked samples of the GT125 for a while now and was fortunate enough to be given a new final version by Mike earlier this week.

Tapers, production processes, coatings, colours (and everything else) are under constant evaluation.  The latest incarnation of the GT125 comes in a muted orange colour that is very visble but far from Hi-Vis, nice fishing colour for all situations.  The material the line is made from has been changed slightly and a new production process has been empolyed that gives a very smooth & extremely slick finish.  Straight from the spool the line feels extremely slick, almost slippery and very supple.

Yesterday, I threw my longest ever measured full line cast with it.  Today with no tape, the backing knot was rattling up the guides every cast and all casts turned over very well, it really shouldn't be so easy to cast a 125' fly line and get a straight leader :z5  I fully expect new records to be set with this line.

At fishing range, nothing has really changed, turnover is still positive, predictible & easily manipulated even at the extremes of normal fishing range.

Very very pleased with the small tweaks we have made, without doubt the best long head fly line I have used.

Cheers

Ben

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 02/11/2012 at 12:34 »
Sounds great Ben, can't wait to try one.

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com