Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Barrio Tournament DH18
« on: 28/07/2012 at 16:43 »
Hi folks :cool:

The new Barrio Tournament DH18 is now available from stock and is live on the website at http://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-competition-fly-lines.html

The Barrio Tournament DH18 is a Spey casting head designed for use with 18 foot rods in platform casting competitions.

The head has a total length of 96 feet 8 inches (29.3 metres) and weighs 84 grams (1296 grains).

Marc Fauvet

Re: Barrio Tournament DH18
« Reply #1 on: 29/07/2012 at 08:29 »
 :z16 :z16 :z16

Hamish Young

« Reply #2 on: 29/07/2012 at 09:49 »
Bottom photo caption:

"man with beard nearly bends 18' rod"  :z4

Nice pics Mike  - well done.

H :z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 30/07/2012 at 20:30 »
Bottom photo caption:

"man with beard nearly bends 18' rod"  :z4

H :z3

:z4  :z4  :z4

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 31/07/2012 at 16:45 »
Looked longer than that Ben, but I'll bow to your experience...... it was a hell of a long way whatever  :z14 :z14 :z16

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 31/07/2012 at 22:28 »
Looked longer than that Ben, but I'll bow to your experience...... it was a hell of a long way whatever  :z14 :z14 :z16

Camera angle makes it look further than it is, not going much over 65 if at all.  Note the anchor position, very difficult to get it any further back with this sort of line when wading in a current and the position is too far forward to make it efficient.  It really is a platform line, there are guys out there who could move it around in those conditions but I' not one of them!

A bit about the line.......

Four or five prototypes later, I think we have it right, this has been a work in progress for over 12 months and I'm really very pleased with the end result.  The head has just the right balance of weight & taper so it flies far yet is still relatively easy to cast, getting this right was more tricky than I thought it would be.  We had lines that were easy to cast but fell out of the sky and lines that flew well in one out of 100 casts but were for the most part totally unmanageable.  All good fun.

Uncut, the DH18 is 96'8" long and the target weight is 84 grams which seems to work well on all the 18' rods it has been cast on which includes the B&W Tournament, MacKenzie DTX, MacKenzie DTX G2 proto, Carron, B&W Norway a Partridge MF.

Files well tied to 30lb Varivas and leader made from level Maxima (can't believe I just wrote that).

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com