Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ewan Lindsay

Photos
« on: 20/07/2012 at 12:41 »
Just a few photos and one question.

1st - A cracking 3-4lb Brownie from Haddo yesterday - it nailed a big Daddy Long Legs (of course!)

2nd - A superb photo from the Fishing Breaks Website of a Chalkstream Brownie munching a Mayfly.  The photograher is an expert in high speed photography of Kinfishers (apparently) and happended to be in the right place at the right time...

3rd - A couple of years ago I was fishing on the River Test and caught a Chub on a Daddy Long Legs.  I didn't weigh it at the time and have always described it as around 5lbs.  However, I saw some pictres of Chub on a website recently and suspect that it may be bigger?  The photo doesn't do it's girth justice; it was a fat b*stard!  Any of our resident "Maggot Drowners" have any idea about it's weight?  Rob?

Ewan

Rob Brownfield

Re: Photos
« Reply #1 on: 20/07/2012 at 13:07 »
I had a 5 lb 12 oz chub from the Lea many years ago..tiz hard to say as like you said, they can have a very deep girth..but that does look at least 5lbs.

Nice fish on the fly..away to give that a bash myself the next 2 weeks on the Wensum.

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #2 on: 20/07/2012 at 13:11 »
Cheers Rob

Ewan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 20/07/2012 at 15:02 »
Just been and looked at one of my old diaries...this might be useful... Lengths to weight ratio for Chub. These are for Lea chub taken from the Lea Valley Specimen Group study so may vary.

25 ins - 6lb 8 oz
24 ins - 6lb 4oz
23 ins - 6lb
22 ins - 5lb 5oz
21 ins - 4lb 10 oz
20 ins - 4lb 4oz
19 ins - 3lb 8oz
18 ins - 3lb 4oz
17 ins - 2lb 12 oz
16 ins - 2lb 5oz

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 20/07/2012 at 17:27 »
Large Daddy,
That is most def the best photo I've seen in a long time, truly inspirational.  :z16  :z16

As for the Chub, If Rob 'the Carp' Rodriguez doesn't know then no-one will.  :z4

Iain

Will Shaw

« Reply #5 on: 23/07/2012 at 15:32 »
Hi Ewan

I agree with Rob, nice chub that. I think chub are one of the hardest fish to put a weight to, especially from photos, and they vary a hell of a lot for a given length.

My rule of thumb was always that they're never as heavy as you think they are, and if you want to put a weight to them then you need to weigh them. No point in guessing.

I wouldn't even think about a weight, just calculate the length from the photo and then talk about that. Or you can just say enigmatically and possibly with a tear in your eye, "aye, I remember that big fly-caught chub..."

That trout/mayfly pic is amazing.

W.

Ewan Lindsay

« Reply #6 on: 23/07/2012 at 16:47 »
Thanks Will

Ewan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com