Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Re: Yes please...at last a "proper" rod
« Reply #15 on: 21/07/2012 at 06:47 »
with the more fuller flex the length of line outside the tip is not so critical

Surely it would be more critical, as would the timing? If you have ten feet or forty feet outside the tip the stroke length has to vary and with a softer rod like this one the timing of the pause on the back stroke must surely be really critical. Could a rod of this nature actually hold up a long line or is it just for the short stuff?
I also notice in the video that there aren't that many tight loops, but there are a lot of big open ones.
No thanks...

:z1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #16 on: 21/07/2012 at 10:35 »
Surely it would be more critical, as would the timing? If you have ten feet or forty feet outside the tip the stroke length has to vary and with a softer rod like this one the timing of the pause on the back stroke must surely be really critical. Could a rod of this nature actually hold up a long line or is it just for the short stuff?
I also notice in the video that there aren't that many tight loops, but there are a lot of big open ones.
No thanks...

Euan,

It is possible to carry a long line with most rods providing you increase arc & stroke to match the bend, there's not many rods that can't be made to carry long with a 170 stroke.  Recovery apart, it is the caster who creates the loops not the rod as some (T&S) magazine reviews would have you believe, again if the tip is made to travel near straight whilst the rod is accelerated then the loop will be tight. 

Cheers

Ben

Euan Innes

« Reply #17 on: 21/07/2012 at 12:17 »
I get that Ben, but would timing not be a bit more critical with a softer rod doing a 170?
With a tippy rod I find line control easier and the line (usually) goes exactly where I want it to with almost no effort but with my Greys wangy noodle I really have to work on the stop point so that the softness carries through to where the tip has to be to put the back cast where I want it to go. By that I mean that with a tippy rod I can stop it at say 2.00 and the tip will not move much from there but with the bamboo I may have to stop at 1.00 so that the tip carries on to 2.00 to put the line in the same place.

This of course might just all be horse pucky but that's how it seems to me. I had a similar issue with the Scott which ended up with me trying to add power to the strokes in order to compensate. Bad technique I know but that's all gone away now that I have my 2 Access rods. Maybe just me... :X2

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 05/08/2012 at 00:42 »
Ahhhh...you are all like modern Carp anglers...stiff rods, long casts, but the fish are normally under your feet and a bit of stealth and a delicate short cast will catch you plenty ;)

It is strange that some of you picked up on it being no good for distance casting. Its not designed for that, its designed for fishing :)

I have found that my softer rods are far easier to cast "fishing" distances than faster rods. If fishing my "faster" rods I find myself overlining to get the rod to work at shorter distances as the damn things don't load otherwise.

I still say a more through action rod 9and a heavier rod) flexes easier and therefore casting "fishing" distances is easier for us mear mortals. Tiz of for you casting Gods, but us lot need as much help from the rod as we can get :)

Euan Innes

« Reply #19 on: 05/08/2012 at 21:19 »
Now here's a thing Rob.
The last time Hamish and I fished Loch Assynt, down at the river mouth at the east end the wind was blowing like a bandit and H was on the oars and pulling like a Viking. I was standing in the bow and making short casts.

My "stiff" Access 104 was really happy doing 15 to 20 foot casts (line trapped under index finger of the casting hand, line drawn back, rolled out and direction changed in the air). Now that was fun! Cast, draw, roll, cast. The rod did it all really well. In fact a softer rod would have made it harder - the crisper rod fired the roll easier in the wind, drew the line in better in the stiff breeze (!) and afforded better line control.

From a tube the rod is even better but that's a different story.... :z4
And an SLX helps... :z4 :z4
Some stiff rods fish too... :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 06/08/2012 at 08:54 »
I have a "stiff" 7 weight access too..and a stiff Helios..and stiff ZG's...but compared to other stiff rods..they are not stiff at all..lol

Euan Innes

« Reply #21 on: 06/08/2012 at 19:53 »
There you go, not a stiff rod between us.... :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com