Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Yes please...at last a "proper" rod
« on: 19/07/2012 at 10:08 »
http://vimeo.com/chrome/circa

Sage had produced a "new" rod that replicates the action of bamboo/fibreglass rods but using fast revovery, high tech carbon.

Nice!!

Euan Innes

Re: Yes please...at last a "proper" rod
« Reply #1 on: 19/07/2012 at 16:18 »
From the press release
"The CIRCA rod collection will be available through Sage specialty dealers in August and September for a retail price ranging from $745 to $775."

OMG  :shock :shock :shock :shock :shock

Now I bet the rod is stunning and will feel good in the hand but FFS, HOW MUCH!?!?!?
With the current fishing exchange rate of $1 = £1 this rod better be the greatest thing since Helios to have a chance.

"I've been designing rods for 27 years" says Jerry. Jerry me old mate, we've moved on a bit...

Still want a throw though!  :z4

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 19/07/2012 at 16:36 »
OMG  :shock :shock :shock :shock :shock

But how much does a bamboo cane cost..$1000+ ;)

Hardy even had a fiberglass rod out not that long ago for £500..how that was justified I do not know...lol

At todays exchange rate, its around £475..which puts it in the same bracket as a lot of other top end rods, so not that bad...if you have the money :)

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 19/07/2012 at 17:00 »
But how much does a bamboo cane cost..$1000+

I am now waiting for the inevitable "wangy noodle shit" comments from a certain faction!  :z4 :z4 :z4

I really would love to try one just to see what Sage are on about.

:z1

Derek Roxborough

« Reply #4 on: 19/07/2012 at 18:26 »
so someone is redesigning my fishing once again, whats that all about? I have been through Cane, glass ,and Carbon fibre so now we are at the stage were we have come in a full circle but more advanced, no, I am quite happy with the technology we have, I like my 3& 4weight rods, they do every thing I ever want,and at $700+ dollars its more than I wish to invest , I would prefer to spend the money on quality fishing, but then, I am going to the US later this year I may, only may, be tempted, from a purely scientific point of view ye ken,  :X2  easgach 1

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 19/07/2012 at 19:07 »
want one  :X2

Allan Liddle

« Reply #6 on: 19/07/2012 at 21:25 »
Thought Jim was in Poland  :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 19/07/2012 at 21:36 »
Thought Jim was in Poland  :wink

Never step in the same river twice can you.
Each time the river hurries on.
Each time he that steps has changed.
Yoda

:z4 :z4 :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #8 on: 20/07/2012 at 08:40 »
Sage had produced a "new" rod that replicates the action of bamboo/fibreglass rods but using fast revovery, high tech carbon.

Hang on a minute..... wasn't the point of putting nice new high modulus carbon (and such) into rods so we could have better recovery in blanks, better casting rods etc etc ???
By their very nature fibreglass rods and split cane rods are 'wangy noodly shit' why on earth would you want to replicate that with modern materials :?

Sounds like an expensive waste of time to me, but I dare say there will shortly be a greater demand for silk fly lines, horse hair furled leaders and 'gut' for leader material again. Nostalgia.... it isn't what I remember it to be.

:z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 20/07/2012 at 08:50 »
Hang on a minute..... wasn't the point of putting nice new high modulus carbon (and such) into rods so we could have better recovery in blanks, better casting rods etc etc ???
By their very nature fibreglass rods and split cane rods are 'wangy noodly shit' why on earth would you want to replicate that with modern materials :?

Sounds like an expensive waste of time to me, but I dare say there will shortly be a greater demand for silk fly lines, horse hair furled leaders and 'gut' for leader material again. Nostalgia.... it isn't what I remember it to be.

WTF! I'm actually going to agree with Hamish :z4

I'm struggling to get the whole story with making a rod that casts like an old wooden / glass thing but recovers well.  Those glass / wooden rods didn't recover well so this is either going to be wangy noodle shit or it will recover well and be crisp and be nothing like those old wobbly things. Will have to cast one to see which it is  ???

Ben

Will Shaw

« Reply #10 on: 20/07/2012 at 10:32 »
I bet it's the crisp/good recovery thing Ben. I'm hoping for an updated ZXL - which could be special.

Those videos are great at spending 3 minutes telling you absolutely nothing - in slow motion.

I'd really like someone to explain the Konnetic technology thing. Accuracy comes from the caster, not the rod IMHO.

I agree, if it's not wangy and wobbly, then it's nothing like cane.

W.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 20/07/2012 at 11:21 »
Ben/Hamish,
I think the point is that the rod allows more relaxed casting, with the rod doing all the work and timing not being so critical. On top of that, with the more fuller flex the length of line outside the tip is not so critical.

I still favour cane or glass rods when floater fishing for carp as the flex of the rod allows light baits that dont load the rod to be cast further.  So, replace the light bait with a short length of fly line and you have the same problem, the rod not loading fully, but still being able to cast.

Just a thought...

Peter McCallum

« Reply #12 on: 20/07/2012 at 14:24 »

Ahhhhh so that's what Tenkara is all about  :z4 :z4     :X2

Hamish Young

« Reply #13 on: 20/07/2012 at 22:28 »
I think the point is that the rod allows more relaxed casting, with the rod doing all the work and timing not being so critical. On top of that, with the more fuller flex the length of line outside the tip is not so critical.

I don't know if it would be more relaxed Rob. Slower.... yes. Relaxed :? Hmmmm.
To be honest I suspect that timing will be as critical with wangy noodly shit as it would be with anything else.
I don't buy into this at all - you can probably tell.....  :z7

To me it smacks of nostalgia for the hell of it, filling a niche that really doesn't need to be filled.

I still favour cane or glass rods when floater fishing for carp as the flex of the rod allows light baits that dont load the rod to be cast further.  So, replace the light bait with a short length of fly line and you have the same problem, the rod not loading fully, but still being able to cast.

I'm going to sort of nick something from Will here. The ability lies with the caster making the best of their equipment and matching their equipment and casting to the task at hand. Now I'm fully prepared to take moderate flak on this, but I simply don't see that this new rod will fill a void that needs to be filled.
It's not the answer.... better casting is.

H :z3

Ben Dixon

« Reply #14 on: 20/07/2012 at 22:43 »
I'm hoping for an updated ZXL - which could be special.
W.

Dude, you're getting old, £50 quid for your TCR5?  :z4

Thing is, the rod doesn't actually do any work (well very very little), it is the person holding the rod, operating the lever that does the work.  

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com