Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

TimTheFlier

CDC & Elk Hair
« on: 18/07/2012 at 10:37 »
This might sound like a really "bone" question so apologies in advance.

When we're talking about CDC & Elk Hair what excatly is meant by "Elk Hair" ?

I've been looking at fly-tying materials and it's not clear what I would need due to what appears to be quite a selection.  I also understand there are different "types / grades" of CDC and some advice on these would also be useful.

I'm happy enough to tie the flies, but would like some advice on what and where to buy the materials.

So, if you tie your own CDC & Elk Hair flies I'd be grateful to know where you get the materials and specifically which exact materials.

Thanks,
Tim

Rob Brownfield

Re: CDC & Elk Hair
« Reply #1 on: 18/07/2012 at 10:55 »
Its the "wing"...

So a bit like deer hair, but more bouyant. Its holly so hols a little air when tied in.

Hope that helps.

TimTheFlier

« Reply #2 on: 18/07/2012 at 11:14 »
Very nice fly Rob (and thanks for the quick response) - where may I ask, do you buy your Elk Hair and CDC ?
Tim

Liam Stephen

« Reply #3 on: 18/07/2012 at 11:44 »
Tim  :z16

Go back to page 4 in the fly tying section. At the top of the page the is a Sbs on the CDC and Elk by Goolager.

Hope this helps
Liam

Loxiafan

« Reply #4 on: 18/07/2012 at 12:28 »
Tim,

Hans W, designer of CDC and Elk uses Coastal Deer Hair for the wing instead of Elk - not sure why he called it a CDC and Elk ! I quite like Elk and recently got some great patches from Toby at Funky Flytying ( Early Season Cow Elk) that is perfect for this fly.

When I was in Orvis Banchory yesterday they had some really nice Elk hair, including a bleached patch, as well as good 'bulk' boxes of CDC ( I use the Orvis stuff).

Hope this helps,

Lindsay

PS I tie a few CDC Elks with less hair but with an underwing of light Orange poly-yarn, Cinnamon Aerowing. I feel it gives the wing a bit more 'structure' and silloutte.

TimTheFlier

« Reply #5 on: 18/07/2012 at 12:44 »
Lindsay - thanks.  I'll pop along and meet Ben and pick up some essentials while I'm there.

Tim.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com