Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Off on a Mullet holiday
« on: 13/07/2012 at 15:28 »
This years trip to Lowestoft is going to see me leave my Carp gear at home and head down with fly rods.

My main quarry is going to be Mullet, closely followed by Bass.

Rod is going to be a 9'6" #6, but what line to use? They are spooky fish but I require a line that loads quickly and shoots well. Suggestions?? I was thinking of a #5 SLX, working on the principle that a #6 might be a bit heavy when used over head? I doubt there will be much call for spey casting from harbour walls. Actually..I have a ~4..maybe I should try it out?

Also taking a 4 weight for Chub in the Wensum with any luck and a 9 weight for Bass and Carp.

Anyone got any ideas on flies for Mullet. Grub type things seem common as well as "bread" imitations. Oh..and apparently Floating Trout pellets are the dogs danglies for them..so I will tie up some deer hair "pellets".

Cheers

Jim Eddie

Re: Off on a Mullet holiday
« Reply #1 on: 13/07/2012 at 15:39 »
Hope the weather is kind to you Rob

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 13/07/2012 at 16:51 »
Hi Rob,

Use the #6 SLX on the #6 rod, you'll find it easier in a coastal breeze and to make sure that the fly gets to where you want it first time.

Do a google for Lee Cummings website, STS flyfishing, there is a fly on there that will work.  Other flies will depend upon what the food source is in the area you are fishing.

Be interested to see how you get on.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 13/07/2012 at 18:52 »
Great stuff Rob ...... Have fun :z16

Might be down that way next weekend myself :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com