Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Orvis Access 9' #7
« on: 14/07/2012 at 18:09 »
Aarrrrgggghhhh! Why did I have to have a cast? Its an addiction!

Now the owner of one for my trip after Mullet/Bass but also for estury/sea Sea Trout when I get back.

With an SLX its so easy to get a reasonable distance, but i have just been out with my #7/8 shooting heads...wow!

I think an hour or two after work for Mackeral is also on the cards.

Loxiafan

Re: Orvis Access 9' #7
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2012 at 19:27 »
 :z4

Me too but I went in with the intention of buying one a 9' 4wt TF ! Great Rods eh ?

Many thanks to Ben Dixon and Kev Muir for the excellent advice in selecting the rod and for all the casting tips (and not laughing at my 'freestyle' technique....or lack of it !). I have never seen anyone cast a fly line like Ben so quite an experience for me too.

L

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 14/07/2012 at 23:26 »
I believe it was yourself in front of me buying a rod..lol

Ben will be getting a good bonus this month..lol

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 14/07/2012 at 23:40 »
Tart's :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 14/07/2012 at 23:47 »
I have an Access 9' #7 for testing distance lines ..... excellent fly rod :z16

Cheers
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 15/07/2012 at 01:02 »

Ben will be getting a good bonus this month..lol

Bonus? I don't get one of those Rob, even if I did it would not have been a factor, you needed that rod.  I improved your life today and all the thanks I get is some cynical comment about a bonus  :z8

Hope you manage to get it well christened next week, take a camera.

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 15/07/2012 at 01:22 »
I improved your life today

:z4 :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #7 on: 15/07/2012 at 13:01 »
I believe it was yourself in front of me buying a rod..lol

Must have been Rob - didn't recognize you from your photo (you weren't wearing camo or carrying a large pike !) or would have said hello.

L

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 15/07/2012 at 19:29 »
I'm surprised that you didn't deduce it was Rob, after all he must have mentioned Carp during his transaction.  :X2

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 15/07/2012 at 20:44 »
I'm surprised that you didn't deduce it was Rob, after all he must have mentioned Carp during his transaction.  :X2

Iain

He did

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 15/07/2012 at 21:04 »
Ahem...no I di...oh hand on...I did..lol. That rod is going to be used for Carp whilst I am down there too. Ideal for casting a large clink.

As for improving my life...I do believe you did...was out again tonight...now getting razor sharp loops...love it.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #11 on: 18/07/2012 at 14:59 »
Took the beast to the river last night...love it!! The shooting head is perhaps a little heavy, but the rod performed lovely. Even with some large flies it turned over a 10 foot leader with ease (unless I did my famous up stream, aerial mend, feather the fly down 30 seconds after the line lands cast!).

I did find my arm getting tired after about 3 hours, but I was casting and stripping with vigor so hardly surprising really!

The first hour saw some beautiful loops and the shooting head tugging for more line.

All in all I think this rod is lovely to use and fish with.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com