Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Richard Tong

Orvis Access/Guideline LPXe
« on: 15/07/2012 at 22:46 »
Looking for an 8'6" #4 rod and fancy one of these two. Am going to try them both but anyone got them and any comments both positive/negative welcome. Recently bought a Streamflex 8' #4 and it's a cracker. They don't do it in an 8'6" #4 so looking to fill this chink in my armoury without going for expense of Helios/top end Sage as it won't be a 'go to' rod for most of my fishing. Not looking for anything too fast in action; want a proper fishing tool that doesn't have to reach for the horizon so more of a 'middle to tip' action

Richard

Rob Brownfield

Re: Orvis Access/Guideline LPXe
« Reply #1 on: 15/07/2012 at 23:02 »
Access have 20% off just now..which softens the blow a little!!

I have just bought my first Access and I love it!

I have a Guideline Act 4 salmon rod and that is also very nice but does not come with the ultimate warrenty the Access does.

Finish is comparable but the Access is much more "alive" in the hand.

Go and have a waggle if you can...I think you will like the Access :)

Richard Tong

« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2012 at 07:54 »
Thanks Rob-what warranty do you get with Guideline? I've read some very good things about the LPXe and the matt black finish appeals but if it's a limited warranty then that may sway the choice

Richard

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 16/07/2012 at 08:25 »
The Guideline warrenty seems to be delt via an office in Sweden.

The cost of replacement parts is £39 for single handed, £49 for double plus shipping from Sweden, so add at least a tenner I would think.

Not sure how long the warrenty is as it does not say.

They do seem to replace parts quickly according to some of the forums, but also some folk have said older rods do not have spares and therefore cannot be repaired. I believe Orvis will replace an older rod with a modern equivalent (think there may be a small charge for that)

James Abel

« Reply #4 on: 16/07/2012 at 09:46 »
I have a lpxe it's coming on for 2 years old. I have broken 3 parts no problems with the warranty it's a lifetime warranty but I don't think you can change your rod but could be wrong. Contact Neil at Angus angling and ask him he's a very nice fellow. I'm actually waiting on a part that I broke last week like rob said its coming from Sweden and it takes a week. Before you ask the first section broke when fishing maybe a need lure hit the tip and broke. The second section broke 3 week later on chicken wire in the jetty when pushing the boat off. The third section broke after a heavy day fishing 25 fish 2-5 lb. the section became loose and fell off a couple of times then I went out and it was split.  :z19 to be honest I am thinking of trying orvis myself just to see and compare the build quality. I see nouthing wrong with the lpxe but I took my shakespear out and was amazed at how far I could throw it  :z5 all the best James  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 16/07/2012 at 12:31 »
I have a lpxe it's coming on for 2 years old. I have broken 3 parts

to be honest I am thinking of trying orvis

James, You'll be lucky if they let you through the door!  :z4 :z4

Only joking, blootered a few in my day too.

Iain

James Abel

« Reply #6 on: 16/07/2012 at 21:23 »
It's all a learning curve I now only put the rod together when I'm in the boat or on the bank I'm hoping that will be my last broken section  :X2 i really should get another rod so if I do break again I've got a decent spare  :X2 if I could only hide the visa bill from my wife  :z4

Loxiafan

« Reply #7 on: 18/07/2012 at 14:09 »
Orvis Access = Fish Magnet, in my experience anyway ! You'd probably like the 8' 6" Mid Flex Richard - I thought the 9' Access 4wt MF was similar to my 9' SF2 4wt possibly a bit more tippy. As has been said good deals just now plus that excellent warranty.

Lindsay

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com