Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Salmon Lines
« on: 03/07/2012 at 23:06 »
What is everyone using just now and what is your preferred choice?

Heads or full lines and what length of head for either (please also specify rod length), I'm talking floaters here.

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

Re: Salmon Lines
« Reply #1 on: 04/07/2012 at 08:54 »
9/10 14 footer I use a 38g, 12m MacKenzie Shooting head, flaoting.
8/9 12' 6" I use a 31g, 11m Guideline DDC Connect Multi-Tip Shooting head with a float, S1/S2 and S4/S5 tips.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 04/07/2012 at 10:25 »
Just in case you have forgotten what you sold me :grin

On the 15' rod I use a 44gm Mackenzie shooting head
on the 13' rod I use a 34gm Rio AFS shooting head

By the way, the Mackenzie floating head I have doesn't float on top of the water but hovers about 1" below the surface. Is it meant to do that? It makes it a bit tricky to see where the line is at dusk or on days of grey misty weather, which is all we are getting this summer.

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 04/07/2012 at 10:44 »
Cheers guys, the Mackenzie should float fine, have you tried some line cleaner / slick on it?  Give that a shot if no joy then bring it back and I'll change it.

Anyone still using full Spey lines for anything?

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 04/07/2012 at 14:52 »
Only in low water and somewhere posh enough/enough room behind me to actually cast one. Because I don't fish in that kind of place very often mostly shooting heads. Mixture of brands but the red one is my favourite!

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #5 on: 04/07/2012 at 17:08 »
I just bought a very nice rio outbound integrated shooting head thingy. I have never really been comfortable with the join between heads/running lines but very happy with this set up. I've been using it most of the season now when im not using the single hander/iline.

Tight lines
Paul

Ps...I think my dad must be the only person in Scotland left who only uses full spey lines and the worcestershire (sp) DT floaters which he swears by. He doesn't do too much DH stuff nowadays tho.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #6 on: 12/07/2012 at 22:24 »
So very few of you are still using full lines, even short heads?

Cheers

Ben

danbruce

« Reply #7 on: 12/07/2012 at 23:45 »
For what its worth i use:

14 footer, 42g Rio AFS
12'6", i have bought a few heads to play about with, guideline power taper 31g, airflo skagit 510 grains and Mackenzie g2 32g. (these may or may not suit the rod but for the price i paid they are worth a throw)

Also have a DT 9wt for the 12'6" which was a pig to cast but when i did get it right it was fun and quite satisfying. So i guess i would consider trying a spey line as i don't want to rule anything out with out trying it.

Dan

Andy Wren

« Reply #8 on: 17/07/2012 at 10:33 »
So very few of you are still using full lines, even short heads?

Cheers

Ben

Ben ,
for floating lines still using snobee 2d and the odd masterline DT  similar with inters ,however for sunk work ,most is with Vision ace heads .
Sadly dont do enough salmon to be "upgrading" every year,not that I think fashion gives any advantage to the actual fishing .

Steven Kidd

« Reply #9 on: 17/07/2012 at 13:04 »
Hi Ben,

I am using a John Norris Spey line at the moment, the one with the 50ft head length.  I use it on an old Daiwa 15ft 10/11wt Salmon Rod.

However i am thinking of going lighter and getting some switch gear before the backend of the season starts, and will surely be looking into an SLX WF8F for this purpose.

Cheers,

Skidd

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com