Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Tackle used in Assynt
« Reply #15 on: 01/07/2012 at 18:25 »
Hi Euan,

Yep had already PM'd Mr.Dixon to see when he will be available at Bunkry for advice etc.

This months Trout and Salmon has a tackle review of fourteen 10' #5 rods. Might be worth a read.

Euan Innes

« Reply #16 on: 01/07/2012 at 18:58 »
Yes it did Rob, but don't mention it to Ben or he'll go off on one again. :mad
Apparently the Orvis rod throws tailing loops and is not accurate at distance. Now I might be a bit on the slow side but I always thought that both of those issues were caused by the caster not the rod... Just saying is all.

It was the cause of much merriment in Assynt when we discussed the best place to buy tailing loops!  :z4

:z1

Allan Liddle

« Reply #17 on: 01/07/2012 at 20:09 »
I could sell you plenty of them  :z4

Wee aside here but am a big fan of the Streamflex rods especiall the 9' 6" #5 Plus, (wonder why?   :wink)
Have a 10' #4 as well which is excellent on running water when fishing almost everything except dries, but really good in the tube.  It's made even better as a short line killer when you add the wee extension piece from the Plus.

Now if Greys were to pick up on this and expand the plus range to 10' rods then a whole other dimension opens up.  Lighter river rods expanded range on French, or Czech styles, not to mention spiders, however equally as interesting on heavier loch rods (ability to work the bob fly longer, hold the hang longer and crutially further from the boat, but also enables you to shorten rod for 'pulling techniques' or more comfortable static surface stuff.)  Plenty other uses although rod action kinda dictates a wee bit.

Allan

Euan Innes

« Reply #18 on: 01/07/2012 at 22:15 »
Couldn't agree more Allan
I have yet to use my Access on a river but I will and I can see nymphing being great fun. On a loch it chucks everything I can think of , so much so that I think this is the rod I wanted thirty years ago. I can't imagine ever fishing with the seven and eight weights that were recommended in the eighties for loch fishing.

I had a Dave Shipman Drifter from Bob Church many moons ago. For those kids in the audience, this was an 11', stiff #678 "loch" rod that could handle everything from a Shipmans Buzzer to a Wooly Bugger on a DI7, allegedly.  I kinda liked it but knowing what I know now it was shite  :z4 It couldn't handle a tailing loop though, whatever brand I bought...

Few things improve for the better these days, but on the whole, fly rods are up there with the best of them.

Orvis Access 10' #4...  :z18
Same in Helios  :z18 :z18 (just can't afford one  :z6)

:z1

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #19 on: 02/07/2012 at 08:44 »
Yes it did Rob, but don't mention it to Ben or he'll go off on one again. :mad

I have to say, T&S do seem to have an issue with Orvis...the reports are never seem to be too great. Maybe T&S don't get enough freebies from Orvis!

I used to do reviews for a Predator magazine and it was common to receive say a rod for testing, along with a bag of lures, t_shirts, caps and sweatshirts..as a sweetner!

Hamish Young

« Reply #20 on: 02/07/2012 at 09:29 »
I have to say, T&S do seem to have an issue with Orvis...the reports are never seem to be too great.

I'm not sure Rob...... an Orvis reel (can't recall at the moment if it was the new Encounter or Clearwater 'plastic' reel) got a very good review in the tackle section in the very same issue of T&S.

I'm all for a practical and thought out reviews (which is why I still buy FF&FT to read Magnus reviewing kit) but with T&S having a greater circulation than any other game fishing monthly in the UK (or at least it did the last time I looked, I'm prepared to be wrong in that respect) it concerns me that some of the reviews simply are not up to the job of providing practical unbiased reading.

The review under discussion in this thread was also a topic for much discussion whilst we were away in Assynt (as I'm sure you can imagine :!) and what strikes me is that the review doesn't make sense - not just the Orvis rod, the whole review.
Without casting aspersions about the capability of the reviewer (see what I did there  :? :wink) the rod reviews undertaken by the same author in other issues all feel a smidgen limited in reference and (dare I say it) smack of an amateurish approach to me.

In true 'Top Gear' style many of these reviews have been ambitious..... but ultimately rubbish  :z7

It's a whole new thread topic, so I'll stop there  :z2

H :z3

Hamish Young

« Reply #21 on: 02/07/2012 at 09:33 »
Actually..... maybe we can learn something from Top Gear here.......

Perhaps what's needed for tackle reviews is a 'Stig' :? Anonymous, capable and unbiased :?

Just an idea :wink

Peter McCallum

« Reply #22 on: 02/07/2012 at 09:49 »
Actually..... maybe we can learn something from Top Gear here.......

Perhaps what's needed for tackle reviews is a 'Stig' :? Anonymous, capable and unbiased :?

Just an idea :wink

Could you carry off the suit and helmet H, I know I wouldn't :z4 :z4

Hamish Young

« Reply #23 on: 02/07/2012 at 10:02 »
Could you carry off the suit and helmet H, I know I wouldn't :z4 :z4

Didn't consider myself for that role Peter.... I'm damn sure I could not get away with the outfit  :z4

:z3

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 02/07/2012 at 10:28 »
You'd probably prefer the Top Gear role to the Tackle Testing role too Hamish ..... especially when it came to Italian models :z4

Cheers
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #25 on: 02/07/2012 at 12:41 »
Good idea H, but we'd need to call him the Stik (ref to being a rod tester?) Some say he can float on water in a big canvas bag and only ever walks backwards.... All we know is he's called the Stik

Some say his loops are tighter than a trumpet players arse when he hits a high 'C', and that he can cast 100 yards into a hurricane, all we know is etc

Some say he smells silghtly of mothballs, and he can tye a size 32 Greenwell Parachute with his bare hands in the dark.  All we know, aye you get the idea.   :z14  :z4 :z4 :z4 :z4

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #26 on: 02/07/2012 at 13:53 »
You'd probably prefer the Top Gear role to the Tackle Testing role too Hamish ..... especially when it came to Italian models :z4

Cheers
Mike

Lol...we have the same issue Mike..The Alfa is a shockingly badly built car, we are on the second gearbox, third respray, 3rd lot of suspension, all in under three years...but we would not get rid of it (ok..maybe trade in for another new one) for anything!

Loxiafan

« Reply #27 on: 03/07/2012 at 00:38 »
This months Trout and Salmon has a tackle review of fourteen 10' #5 rods. Might be worth a read.

Cheers Rob, I have seen that review, but I am ideally after a 9 ft #4.

Lindsay

Ben Dixon

« Reply #28 on: 03/07/2012 at 23:04 »
Used a 104 Access for trout lined with a #4 SLX, superb outfit for fishing traditional from either a boat or a tube.  Rod has enough length to work the flies close up and the line carries even the chunkiest loch flies very well.  Also fishes a single #14 dry sedge on a long leader perfectly in flat conditions. 

Helios 966 and #6 Rio Outbounds for sea trout in the sea and also for the imaginary mackerel.  Smooth rod which copes very well with fast sinking heads (Access 966 is very similar in action) and the Outbounds are perfect for the job except for the odd tangle in the running line.

Helios 909 for pollock with a T11 custom cut Outbound trimmed to 33'.  Brutal but effective, carries a big fly 35-40 yards and takes it down deep.  The Outbound required more space to use well than the Airflo the others were using but it is much smoother to cast and will fly a little further, downside is that Outbounds are not particularly tough and are expensive.  When it dies I don't think I will replace it, I'll use the Airflo as the first one I buy will probably outlast me.

Reels for above were Orvis Enounters, the new plastic jobs.  They bounce when thrown against rocks or boats (I've tried throwing them, they don't break), superb drag and retail for under £40 with a spare spool about half of that.

Okuma Astral 16'6" 5 - 25g telescopic dapping rod.  Very light and great from the tube, superb value at about £40 from GAC.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com