Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

JIMBOB

Best Recipe
« Reply #15 on: 15/04/2007 at 19:49 »
cover in foil and bake in a hot oven, No spices etc. as this only masks the delicate flavour of fish.

Hamish Young

Best Recipe
« Reply #16 on: 15/04/2007 at 20:13 »
Depends on the fish - doesn't it :?:

gunner100

Recipe for Gravad Lax
« Reply #17 on: 16/04/2007 at 22:09 »
Thanks for your enquiries re my favourite fish recipe.

Take two fillets from a 4 lb + rainbow.

Mix 50/50 sea salt and sugar. Add a 1/2 tspn of Allspice plus the  same of ground pepper.

Lay the trout fillets on foil. Cover flesh side of the fillets with the salt/sugar/allspice/pepper mix then cover with Dill, you cannot use too much Dill!! It only enhances the flavour.

Wrap the fillets now covered with salt/sugar etc in tinfoil and place between two metal baking trays, wrap elasticated straps around the baking trays to apply pressure, place in fridge for at least 2 days, ideally turning every 24 hrs. They can even be left for 4/5 days in the fridge without any problem. The fish will then keep for at least a fortnight.

Then slice as for smoked salmon.

Enjoy,

Lyall

postie

Best Recipe
« Reply #18 on: 19/04/2007 at 11:10 »
Fillets of Trout wrapped in parma ham and cooked slowly in a frying pan with butter and some thyme and salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy :z4

Andy.X.

Best Recipe
« Reply #19 on: 23/04/2007 at 20:17 »
you can try this with anything but its great with fish.
take some self raising flour, add salt and pepper and any other herbs you like then pour in lager, mix until the mixture turns thick and creamy.
dip in your peices of fish and deep fry.
mmmmmmmmmm enjoy.

moffty

Here's an interesting one.....
« Reply #20 on: 24/04/2007 at 19:40 »
I found this and think I'll give it a go...

3-4 lbs ground pike
4-6 celery stalks
1/2 onion
3 slices of bread
1 tablespoon chicken base soup
1 tablespoon beef base soup
1/2 tablespoon garlic (powder or minced)
1 tablespoon nutmeg
Peanut oil
2 eggs

Grind together the pike fish, celery, bread and onion. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well. Form into individual patties. Roll in flour and cook in peanut oil for 15-20 minutes.

Only question is, where are the best pike round here?

Steve

charrcatcher

Best Recipe
« Reply #21 on: 05/05/2007 at 14:54 »
Roasted Salmon Fillets

This really is dead easy.

One bit of filleted salmon per person. I don't believe in skinny wee portions - I allow around 10-12oz each piece of fillet. Remove the pin bones, but leave the skin on. Don't bother scaling the skin, just leave as is.

Farmed fish is fine for this. Anything else is either far too dear - or too hard to catch... for this lousy fisher, anyway.

A swiss roll baking tray for roasting in the oven. Line it with foil.

Other ingredients

Extra virgin olive oil
Lemon juice
Fresh pepper
Fresh root ginger, shredded
Salt

Pour a decent puddle of oil into the lined tin. Since EV olive oil's not cheap stuff, don't use too wide a tray or else you'll need to use far too much oil. One that's just big enough to take the fish is best. Add the juice of a decent sized lemon. "Jif" lemon is fine if there's no fresh stuff available.

With your fingertips work the oil and juice together so it makes a sort of yellow-green thickish emulsion.

Lay the fillets in the resultant gloop, and coat them liberally all over with it. Let them sit in this for a while - about a half hour, longer if you want.

Have them skin side down to cook. (When they're cooked, the skin will stick to the foil and you can remove the fish with a frypan slice, leaving the skin behind.)

Add a sprinkling of salt, pepper, and some freshly shredded ginger.

Have the oven preheated around 200 degrees, put in the fish and watch carefully. When the thin end of the fillets, the belly meat end, begins to show some decent browning/caramelisation, take it out. You'll find the thin end of each fillet is the tastiest bit. I don't time it, I watch it; but at a guess 15-20 minutes should do it.

Basting the fillets two or three times through the cooking process is a good idea, it keeps the fish from drying out in the fierce heat.

Adding a couple of tomatoes halved to roast along with the salmon adds colour and flavour too.

Serve with steaming hot basmati rice and some boiled asparagus tips, and pour hot hollandaise sauce over these. Any decent supermarket sells jars of this stuff.

Obviously if you don't like any of the addition bits, leave them out, or add what you prefer.

I've never found a fish recipe to top this one.

Ian

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com