Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

moffty

Best Recipe
« on: 10/04/2007 at 21:28 »
OK Folks

What is your best fish recipe? I've got a couple but I'll hold back till I see what the competition is like....

Shielfisher, I know about the tandoori trout which I hope you will share with all of us.....

No limits, game, coarse or sea.....

Right, over to you guys!

Moffty

:?:

Mike Barrio

Best Recipe
« Reply #1 on: 10/04/2007 at 22:07 »
Hi Moffty

Sorry, cooking is not my thing at all, it all goes wrong somehow ......... but I can catch them though  :wink:

Cheers
Mike

PS: Any news of the "soundmannie"?  :z1

moffty

Best Recipe
« Reply #2 on: 10/04/2007 at 22:31 »
Mike..........................

Maybe that is where you have gone wrong....

Recipe doesn't only imply cooking. What about smoking, pickling or just raw!!!

Moffty

Brian Brand

Best Recipe
« Reply #3 on: 10/04/2007 at 22:31 »
Hello Moffty,

My one is Haddo Rainbow and Prawns (not Haddo!!) along with Red Thai Curry Sauce.

Regards,
Bri.  

Or just a rainbow on the BBQ along with a glass of wine.

Stuart Smith

Best Recipe
« Reply #4 on: 11/04/2007 at 02:09 »
smoked trout fresh out the water smoked with oak chips and ether a hipper of rusty nail or a bottle of red wine.normally both

stuart

Rob Brownfield

Best Recipe
« Reply #5 on: 11/04/2007 at 11:41 »
I take a rainbow, and wrap it in damp newspaper and throw it on the fire. When the newspaper starts to char, I unwrap the trout, throw it away and eat the paper!  :wink:

I don't like fish.... :oops:

Kev Danby

Best recipe
« Reply #6 on: 11/04/2007 at 16:30 »
Cold smoked trout gets my vote.

you can always go to the British Trout Association for a good few recipes.

They have a good recipe which uses redcurrant jelly and rosemary.

moffty

Pickled Trout
« Reply #7 on: 11/04/2007 at 20:53 »
Ok

Here's one...

Fillet a trout skin, on and cut into about 1 cm x 2cm strips. Place in brine in a fridge for about 12 hours. Meantime, get some pickling vinegar and mix with 1/3 water. Put in sterilised jar, add 6 to 8 cloves and a good dash of port. Rinse trout under running fresh water for about 10 mins and add to picling solution, seal and leave at least a week in the fridge.

The skin is not to be eaten but holds the meat together...makes a great handle when you are eating the meat!

Try it!

Moffty

Peter McCallum

Best Recipe
« Reply #8 on: 12/04/2007 at 11:15 »
Seem to recall a programme years ago when some celebrityt wrapped a trout with butter & herbs tightly in tinfoil the stuck it into a dishwasher turned it on for a full wash & he presto cooked trout.

wildfisher

Best Recipe
« Reply #9 on: 12/04/2007 at 11:29 »
Anyone tried that gravadlax stuff  (I think hat's how you spell it anyway)  ? It's supposed to be great.

Jim Eddie

Gravlax
« Reply #10 on: 12/04/2007 at 13:01 »
Aye , I've tried it in Norway and very nice it is. Never made it though.

For anyone who fancies it here's the recipe

http://www.dlc.fi/~marianna/gourmet/5_2.htm

Cheers

Jim

Best Recipe
« Reply #11 on: 12/04/2007 at 18:23 »
yeah tried it very nice get a few packs when ever passing ikea

Hamish Young

Best Recipe
« Reply #12 on: 12/04/2007 at 18:42 »
Tandoori Trout Fillet:

Previously posted on Freds forum, but here with one or two additions:
You need –
1.   Trout fillets (rainbow preferably) either portion sized as a main course (4-5oz fillet) or fillets from one big rainbow.
2.   Juice from a lemon or a lime.
3.   Home made tandoori paste, or Pataks tandoori paste. Seems that Pataks paste is discontinued  :cry:  But any curry paste will do the same job.
4.   Fresh coriander - lots.
5.   Sea salt.
6.   Fresh full fat natural yogurt - doesn't taste right with 'diet' varieties  :wink:

Method –
1.   Brush the fillets with juice from lemon or lime, not all of it just enough to make sure it’s all been coated. Season with salt cover and bung in the fridge for an hour.
2.   Meanwhile mix one small pot of yogurt with 2-3 tablespoons of tandoori paste. I sometimes make my own but it’s complicated, messy and time consuming.
3.   Chop up a good handful of fresh coriander and bung it into the mix.
4.   Take the trout fillets out of the fridge and dry off with kitchen paper.
5.   Cover the flesh side of the fillet with the yogurt/paste mix, wants to be about half a centimetre thick.
6.   Choice at this point. You can either pop the fillets back into the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours or cook straight away. If you pop them back in the fridge (overnight preferably) you get a much better quality dish at the end. :z16
Which ever you choose, the fillets want about 25 minutes on a high heat, preferably 200 degrees C or 180 for a fan assisted oven. Unless you’ve a proper tandoor or pizza oven in which case "play" until you get it right – I’ve not had access to one to find out yet!

That’s it, a great way to use up rainbow trout which might otherwise get fed to the cat. I like it served hot with basmati rice and a good Naan and a good lager, but it's even better served cold with potato salad in the summer and a nice dry white at lunchtime..... hmmm..... roll on summer  :cool:

Hamish Young

or then there's this one..................
« Reply #13 on: 12/04/2007 at 18:51 »
Wrapped trout parcels

Again, I had posted this over on Freds forum, recreated here:
Sounds complicated but easy - honest. Originally a recipe for Sea Trout this works equally well with all salmonids.

You need:
1.  Silver foil.
2.  Really good quality smoked bacon (not the crap stuff from a supermarket full of additives) or parma ham.
3.  1 gutted and headed trout of about 1.5lbs, take the tail off too.
4.  1 small clove of garlic.
5.  Mix of freshly chopped herbs or (  :wink: ) a pinch of Schwartz mixed herbs for each trout.
6.  Butter.
7.  A nice white wine.
8.  Juice of half a lemon or lime.
9.  Salt and pepper.
10.Olive oil

The method:
Take the silver foil and take off enough to make a parcel that will cover the fish completely. Lay it out and coat with a little olive oil. Take your smoked bacon or parma ham and lay on the foil - enough to wrap the trout. Pop the trout on top and fill the body cavity with the herbs, a crushed garlic clove, a good knob of butter, the juice of half a lemon or lime. Season with the salt and pepper then wrap the trout completely with the smoked bacon or parma ham. Before you wrap up the trout completey in the foil, bung in about a quarter glass of white wine (I like to drink the rest of the bottle as a quality control measure  :grin: ).
You've now got a choice of how to cook it - this works really well on a BBQ but you need to double up the silver foil. You bung it on a BBQ and forget about it for half an hour then open up the parcel and leave for another 20 minutes or so then let folk help themselves.
Or...
Bung into a preheated oven (160 degrees) on a baking tray. Cook for 30 minutes.
Serve on a bed of rice and peas but before you put the trout on take the fluids from the parcel and cover the rice and peas first.
Or...
If you're feeling right posh, serve with mangetout, new potatoes and make up a sauce by draining off the fluids from the parcel into a small saucepan on a highish heat, add some butter and wait unitl it's melted in then gently whisk in some double cream.
Pour over the fish and you're done.

Single chaps - this one works on the ladies  :z4  :z16

Best Recipe
« Reply #14 on: 14/04/2007 at 09:07 »
my favorite has to be fresh scallops and smoked haddock cooked in milk in the oven then use the milk to make cheese sauce then arrange the fish in a big oven dish with sliced boiled egg fryed leeks smother with sauce and put mashed tattie on top  sprinkle with grated cheese and slam into oven ......magic

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com