Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Dutchfly

It ain't half hot, mum!
« on: 24/06/2012 at 21:27 »
I know it's been a while, but please imagine a place with bright sunshine, temperatures into the 30's Celsius, sandy beaches with whales, dolphins and seals jumping in the sea and enough flyfishing to last you a lifetime. Florida Keys? Bahamas? Jardines de la Reina? No! Scotland! Point of Stoer, to be exact.

From the moment we landed at Inverness we had the best of Scottish weather.

At the local Burgerking we met up with Hamish, who had a lot of good advice for us and supplied us with some flies. Was good to see you again, maybe next year we can combine our trips!

This year we stayed at Cruachan Lodge in Stoer. If you're looking for a great place to stay in Assynt, look no further. We had a great time and will defenitely return there.

As I said, the weather was great and the lochs were beautiful

and full of stunning fish. Just look at these colours:

The best flies this time over were good old Black Bumble and some nameless gizzmo my son had tied for me: pearly body, lightly palmered with brown hen and a gold glass bead. Takes on that fly were very, very hard.
The GT140 6 wt I received from Mike a couple of days before our trip formed an excellent combo with my Echo3. This will be my go-to rod and line for some time to come, I think.

All in all, another great trip to a beautiful part of Scotland. Can't waite 'till next year!

Jeroen

Rob Brownfield

Re: It ain't half hot, mum!
« Reply #1 on: 24/06/2012 at 22:20 »
Who painted the trout? Amazing colours!!

Allan Liddle

« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2012 at 23:03 »
Beautiful troot and stunning location.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Allan L

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 25/06/2012 at 18:33 »
Hi Jeroen :z16

Thanks for posting the great photos and for the report ..... Good to see that you enjoyed your holiday! :cool:

What are the funny black things on the wings of that plane? :z4

Best wishes
Mike

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 26/06/2012 at 13:19 »
It's an eco-plane i think and those are windmills?

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 26/06/2012 at 13:21 »
Surely those black things are giant "Klink" hackles...helps keep the plane afloat in emergencies! :grin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com