Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

bothylad

Loch Insch
« on: 13/06/2012 at 06:21 »
When I come back to Aberdeen from Australia for holidays, which I will be doing shortly, I enjoy a day or two at Loch Insch Fishery amongst other venues. From their website there seems to be no fishing reports or current news. E-mails remain unanswered.
Is Loch Insch still active?
Regards.

josh

Re: Loch Insch
« Reply #1 on: 16/06/2012 at 20:33 »
yes loch inch is still open. im not sure how wel it is fishing as aint been up for a while it was bad with weed at one point but  think this has been resolved

liamY83

« Reply #2 on: 24/06/2012 at 21:02 »
I was up last Sunday (17th) and it fished well, took 8 fish upto 5lbs in a couple of hours. Was the first time i'd been up since it changed ownership 3 years ago and it was very quiet, only one othe car in car park. Was told they'd had some problem with weed last year but this year was a lot better, I tend to fish the two older lochs (Kelloch and insch) and Kelloch had no weed in it, insch had a little but the owners were in the loch working on it the entire time I was there so it should be clear by now.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 24/06/2012 at 22:58 »
I also fished it on Saturday for the first time in a few years. Used fish there a lot several years ago. It's so quiet now compared to then and has matured into a lovely fishery. It was a bit of an aquarium back in the day and while no longer anything like that it still seems to have a decent stock of fish. I had 5 for 15lbs in 2 hrs and was broken by a large double. The fish were in great condition, fully finned with big tails. Some fought well, some didn't. The other few anglers I saw were mostly getting a few but I overheard someone speaking about some guys who were "hammering fish". On my way back to the hut I seen these guys and it was mental, 3 guys in track suits, barely able to cast 10 meters having repeated hook ups  :z4 usually 2 of them at a time. Was gonna go over and see what magic fly they were using but they were speaking foreign so just left them to their fun. Clearly lots of fish there to be caught if using the correct method.
The owner came by on his quad twice while I was there to ask how I was doing which is always a good sign. He was working hard all the time I was there on upkeep which must be a huge task.  Hopefully it's heading back to its former glory as it was once the best bank fishers in this area in my opinion.

Allan Liddle

« Reply #4 on: 24/06/2012 at 23:00 »
I also fished it on Saturday for the first time in a few years. Used fish there a lot several years ago. It's so quiet now compared to then and has matured into a lovely fishery. It was a bit of an aquarium back in the day and while no longer anything like that it still seems to have a decent stock of fish. I had 5 for 15lbs in 2 hrs and was broken by a large double. The fish were in great condition, fully finned with big tails. Some fought well, some didn't. The other few anglers I saw were mostly getting a few but I overheard someone speaking about some guys who were "hammering fish". On my way back to the hut I seen these guys and it was mental, 3 guys in track suits, barely able to cast 10 meters having repeated hook ups  :z4 usually 2 of them at a time. Was gonna go over and see what magic fly they were using but they were speaking foreign so just left them to their fun. Clearly lots of fish there to be caught if using the correct method.
The owner came by on his quad twice while I was there to ask how I was doing which is always a good sign. He was working hard all the time I was there on upkeep which must be a huge task.  Hopefully it's heading back to its former glory as it was once the best bank fishers in this area in my opinion.

Bottled it fur a bash out the tube then?

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 24/06/2012 at 23:19 »
Ya shitey weather and a late lie kinda scuppered that plan. I'm off tomorrow though so may head up Elgin way and try a certain fishery you mentioned!

josh

« Reply #6 on: 25/06/2012 at 11:01 »
i was up yesterday weather was really crappy not the best for using wets or buzzers which is always my first go to as i hate using lures. only managed the 1 fish which was a brownie so was chuffed but there was a ghuy there using a lime green and white wsw and was gettin a fish like every 3rd/4th cast was pretty nuts. tried a dry at the end of the day just because nymphs wets and buzzers werent working and managed to get 2 fish to rise for it should have tried it at the start really lol

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com