Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Alan Gourlay

River Don Newbie Advise
« on: 06/06/2012 at 21:42 »
Looking for some advise on where to fish the River Don, not looking for any secret spots etc just where to buy permits and which banks can I fish ?.

I'm not new to fly fishing but have very rarely fished rivers, this is something I'm wanting to change. I live in Balmedie, so any advise on local stretches would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Alan Gourlay

Rob Brownfield

Re: River Don Newbie Advise
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/2012 at 08:36 »
Have a look on this site at the River Don page http://fishingthefly.co.uk/river-don-brown-trout-fishing.html loads of choices there.

I can only comment on a few beats but will try to help:
ADAA beats. ADAA have some excellent fishing on the lower to middle beats of the Don upto around Kintore. The ADAA website has excellent advice and beat summaries, well worth a read.

Monymusk. Possibly one of the most famous beats on the Don, split into 13 beats over 10 miles of water. http://www.monymusk.com/index.asp?sec=5 Famed for big trout, but it can be a bit moody, especially with an easterly wind. Worth going to the Grant Arms and having a look through the catch reports. I was there a few weeks back abd has a fish of around 5 pounds, but when I entered it into the book, the guy before had had a 7.5 pounder! Some lovely "proper" pools as well as long glides.

Candacraig/Edinglassie/Tornashean. All three beats are available on the same ticket now. Some beautiful upper Don fishing in stunning sceanary. £20 gives access to 10.5 miles of double bank. Up there a few weeks back and we had the entire 10.5 miles to ourselves. All sorts of water from deep, dark pools to shallow riffles with just about everything else in between.  Plenty of fish showing including a few salmon.

I think the best advice is to join the ADAA as that will give you access on the lower Don and also parts of the Ythan, both within 20 minutes of your door step. As for advice on tactics etc, I will leave that to those who are better anglers than me, but I have caught on swung wet flies, up and down stream dries, Czech and standard nymphs and streamers. There is water for every tactic available so go fill ya boots.

Alan Gourlay

« Reply #2 on: 07/06/2012 at 21:35 »
Thanks for the advise, much appreciated. I'll post up how we get on.

Alan

Alan Gourlay

« Reply #3 on: 10/06/2012 at 14:14 »
Ended up at Monymusk, caught plenty of small 1/2 - 3/4 lb trout on Invicta & Claret Hopper Dry Fly.

Nice water, but a bit difficult to get access too. I'm recovering from a broken hip so not the most nimble for climbing over barabed wire fences and rushes up to my elbows  :z4 but a great day had by all.

Fished all day but couldn't just couldn't find the bigger fish, next time.

The slower water/pools were fishing well but didn't touch a fish on the faster rockier parts, and haven't a clue how to fish them if i'm being honest.

All a learning curve, thanks for the info.

Alan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 13/06/2012 at 16:42 »
On the faster water I throw a Klink and Dink team at them. The big Klink can be seen in the turbulent water by you and the trout :) The "dink" is often taken as they come up to have a look at the Klink.

Also Czech Nymphs...but if your mobility is not too hot probably not a method as you need to wade mainly.

I wonder if the Hopper was being taken for drowned Hawethorn flies? Its normally associated with still water fishing.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com