Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

adambrain

floating tippet dry fly??
« on: 03/06/2012 at 15:51 »
I've always tried and has been very frustrating to sink my tippet when fishing dries but being out yesterday it seemed not to make a difference.

Any input on this??

Ive become a bit obsessed with tippets and methods of sinking them recently and ive come up with a fantastic rig but not telling although payments are accepted ha ha ha...

Rob Brownfield

Re: floating tippet dry fly??
« Reply #1 on: 04/06/2012 at 08:34 »
A lot depends on what sort of water you are fishing through. Bubbly, fast water where the trout has to make a decision there and then or the fly has gone generally means a positive take even on thick, floating leader.

Flat, "frog water" as the Americans call it is a different story. A trout has an age to make up its mind and may be coming from a few feet down so can see the leader clearly as it comes up through the water.

I must admit, I have been having a nightmare trying to sink my leader recently. No matter what I use, it floats, even after degreasing and even rubbing dirt along it to give it a little "weight" to break the surface tension.

When floater fishing for Carp, a sunken leader is a must, but I guess 8-10lb line sinks eaaier than 3.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 04/06/2012 at 09:55 »
ive come up with a fantastic rig but not telling

if the idea is to sink, the simplest solution is to add weight in one form or another.
i'm anxious to see what you came up with  :wink

cheers,
marc

adambrain

« Reply #3 on: 04/06/2012 at 10:29 »
A lot depends on what sort of water you are fishing through. Bubbly, fast water where the trout has to make a decision there and then or the fly has gone generally means a positive take even on thick, floating leader.

Flat, "frog water" as the Americans call it is a different story. A trout has an age to make up its mind and may be coming from a few feet down so can see the leader clearly as it comes up through the water.

I must admit, I have been having a nightmare trying to sink my leader recently. No matter what I use, it floats, even after degreasing and even rubbing dirt along it to give it a little "weight" to break the surface tension.

When floater fishing for Carp, a sunken leader is a must, but I guess 8-10lb line sinks eaaier than 3.

In my experience i have not always been great with the dries and often get annoyed with floating tippets but after the weekend im not sure its necessary and feel im getting better.
Learning curve !! As always........

adambrain

« Reply #4 on: 04/06/2012 at 10:40 »
It's very simple what I came up with but havent seen or heard anyone else doing it so I feel clever.
I got the idea from my coarse fishing days.

Use these below in key areas on your tippet, for a single fly I put 1-2 a few feet from the point or for a double fly cast put 1-2 inbetween the point and dropper and also 1-2 a few feet above the dropper, its been working a treat for me.

http://www.fishtec.co.uk/online.cfm/end-tackle,-terminal-tackle-and-rig-components/korda-sinkers/40/yes/48049

Hope this helps others

Regards
Adam.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 04/06/2012 at 11:41 »
You must be loaded if you can afford Korda sinkers..lol!!!

A better option (i think) would be to use "Stotts". They come in smaller sizes and being mouse dropping shape, grip the line well without damaging it.

However, a wee trick is to tie up your leader as normal, but 8 inches shorter than you normally use. Tie on a "ring" and then add your final 8 inches of tippet. If you are familier with Korda then you will know they do them, as do Nash, Hutchy and several other companies.  http://www.korda.co.uk/products/view.php?id=98

The ring is heavy enough to break surface tension.

adambrain

« Reply #6 on: 04/06/2012 at 12:07 »
I use Korda because they are the only ones on fishtec and I get discount and free PP :z16. They do the trick and dont move and are small enough for me anyways.

Ive not used the rings yet but im keen to try, i feel they will cause problems though ie. tangles and such, also more knots/weak links in the line.
Do you use them ? How do you get on ?
I suppose I should give them a bash.

Adam

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 04/06/2012 at 12:52 »
I have to say I don't use them these days, purely because they are so expensive, but I did use them for years on still waters where I think its more important to sink the leader. I do know a few people that swear by them for tying droppers etc.

I have spent the morning going through hundreds of articles/forums on "sinking tippets when dry fly fishing" and it would appear the general opinion is, in a river, it does not matter, on a lake/loch, it does...so i am not going to worry about it for a while and see what happens.

adambrain

« Reply #8 on: 04/06/2012 at 13:01 »
Ah well ive gone and ordered some now so will see what the weekend brings.

As for sinking tippets, i think ive sussed it for now anyways.

cheers for all the input.

Adam

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #9 on: 04/06/2012 at 14:35 »
clever indeed Adam,  :z16

other options i've been using for years are:
Loon's Deep Soft Weight
http://www.loonoutdoors.com/deep-soft-weight.html
more customizable and reusable. no need to be threaded on so it can be put on and removed at any time without changing the leader or removing the fly.

or a nymph on a dropper in front of the dry. at least it can catch fish and often does   :wink

i do not agree with the tippet ring being enough to sink the the tippet because it simply doesn't or it takes so long that it's pointless. it could but it would have to be enormous ! 
(maybe Rob's used his wedding band by mistake ?  :z4 )

cheers,
marc

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 04/06/2012 at 15:19 »

i do not agree with the tippet ring being enough to sink the the tippet because it simply doesn't or it takes so long that it's pointless. it could but it would have to be enormous ! 
(maybe Rob's used his wedding band by mistake ?  :z4 )

...which is why I put a link to the carp fishing version, not the trout, which is smaller and lighter. The carp ones are heavier and made of a thick wire.  :X2

I would agree, standard trout ones are too light.  :z18

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #11 on: 04/06/2012 at 15:35 »
i don't open 'carp' links. allergic.  :X6

adambrain

« Reply #12 on: 04/06/2012 at 15:41 »
i don't open 'carp' links. allergic.  :X6

Im not sure why I but I found this quite funny. Even as an ex carp angler. :z4

I quite like the look of that deep soft weight, ive seen something like it on fishtec called pin down putty.
Will give it a try. thanks

Adam

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com