Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

calloo

Kildrummy fishings
« on: 01/06/2012 at 19:03 »
In years gone by I have fished for trout on the Don at Kildrummy estates.The ghillie was Gus Ogilvie, a very decent and friendly man. It appears that things have changed. Mr Ogilvy has left that job and lives elsewhere. When I attempted to go for a day's trout fishing in this idilic spot I was told that I should apply to the Marcliffe Hotel in Aberdeen.  What in God's name is going on when a tiddly little bit of a beautiful river is grabbed by a large conglomerate and is sealed off from ordinary people just out for a day of pleasure. I feel so pissed off I want to emigrate, but I am too old.

kinloch

Re: Kildrummy fishings
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2012 at 19:33 »
I was hoping to fishing there later this summer. Surely ownership is not a problem?  Hasn't the Don got a po which means permits have to be issued no matter who owns the fishing? This works brilliantly on my local waters the Clyde and Tweed any hassle you just contact the po liaison authority for the river and they will sort it out for you.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #2 on: 01/06/2012 at 19:51 »
Hi Kinloch

I'm sure that some of the members will know how to get on to fish there. Failing that have you thought about the River Don Trust? They will definitely know who owns it?

Cheers Matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 01/06/2012 at 20:33 »
When I attempted to go for a day's trout fishing in this idilic spot I was told that I should apply to the Marcliffe Hotel in Aberdeen.  What in God's name is going on when a tiddly little bit of a beautiful river is grabbed by a large conglomerate and is sealed off from ordinary people just out for a day of pleasure. I feel so pissed off I want to emigrate, but I am too old.

Absolutely not sealed off from anyone.  Have you applied for a ticket?   :X6

There are no issues at all getting on the water for either trout or migratory fish.
Tickets are available from the Marcliffe at the same price asthey were last season, £10 per day for trout.  These can be picked up in person, paid for over the phone (tickets filled out then scanned & emailed) or by post with a cheque.  Ask for Mandy Wood on the main hotel number and she'll sort you out, very helpful.

Cheers

Ben

calloo

« Reply #4 on: 02/06/2012 at 09:55 »
Thank you for the information Ben. Perhaps I do not have to emigrate after all.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com