Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Euan Innes

Nylon for saltwater fishing
« on: 30/05/2012 at 22:58 »
Being the tight git that I am, I really choked at the prospect of buying "salt water tippet" at the crazy prices that are abound these days. I mean £12 for 30m of nylon, FFS!

So I went to www.tacklebargains.co.uk (no affliliation BTW) and perused the sea nylon. I got Storm Thunder Line (great name!) in aqua, 30lb BS, 0.45mm diameter for, wait for it, £4.95 a spool. A spool of 200 METERS  :z16
So far it seems flexible, transparent and supple but I'll test it when I can.

I can also recommend the
http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Western-Filament-Premium-Braided-Dacron---Green-Spot---300-yards--.html
as the dogs danglies. Dacron of a proper diameter and strength.

More to come once I've tested the nylon. A site worth checking.

:z1

Hamish Young

Re: Nylon for saltwater fishing
« Reply #1 on: 30/05/2012 at 23:09 »
Cool - I can blag your tippet material  :wink

H :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 30/05/2012 at 23:13 »
I use tacklebargins for all my saltwater and pike fly lines as they have some great offers.

If you had searched a bit more you may have found Berkley Big Game fly tippet in 20 and 30lb. Great stuff on wide spools. Ideal for Pollock as the stuff is near indestructable The abrasion resistence is superb. I also use it for my Pike as its quite stiff so turns over heavy flies just great.

Euan Innes

« Reply #3 on: 31/05/2012 at 08:49 »
Cool - I can blag your tippet material 

Oh ya think so do ya? Maybez I'll charge by the meter... :z7

:z1

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 31/05/2012 at 11:15 »
Orvis Super Strong AR is what I use, that or Fluoro.  AR is only £4.50 for 30 metres and has a bit of stretch to it which I like when throwing very heavy flies.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com