Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

danbruce

Wading Boots
« on: 29/05/2012 at 18:18 »
Right guys,

Having spent the recent hot spell sweating my nuts off wandering the river banks in neoprene chest waders i have decided to get a pair of breathable chest waders.
A very kind gentleman that offers wader repairs in aberdeen has found me a great pair of vision waders at a great price.
All i need now is wading boots to go with them, any suggestions of what to go for or what to look out for?

Do most of my fishing on the Don middle river and lower river most of the bed mainly being rocky.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :z16

Dan

Jonathan Kerr

Re: Wading Boots
« Reply #1 on: 29/05/2012 at 18:43 »
Hey Dan,

I was recently in the market for a good pair of wading boots also, to replace my old scierra wading boots which fell apart after a couple of years, and opted for some vision hopper boots.  They are a tough, but very light and comfortable boot.  I bought the vibram sole with studs from a shop online (north east tackle).  They are quite expensive, but in my opinion worth it! My old ones were about 40 quid and rubbish, these are only just over twice the price.

From what i gather, boots in general can be a bit hit or miss...with some falling apart after half a season. I'm sure others can recommend some other good brands too.

As for sole type, different people prefer different soles for different rivers etc..but last i heard rubber was best to help prevent spread disease etc..especially if you are travelling as some places abroad you are not allowed to use felt. Happy hunting!

cheers
J

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 29/05/2012 at 20:47 »
Patagonia RiverWalkers. 4 years and still going strong. best i've ever had   :z13

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 30/05/2012 at 08:29 »
I love my Orvis "Korkers". So far nothing but praise for them. They have the replaceable soles, with the standard one being studded and with a sticky rubber base.

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product.aspx?pf_id=3R40

Ben might still have some left on offer..or get from the US for $99

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 30/05/2012 at 08:35 »
Oh, and don't believe for one minute that "breathable waders" "breath" when wading. They sort of work when walking about, but once in the water, forget it :)

Better than neoprene though...much better.

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #5 on: 30/05/2012 at 09:53 »
Oh, and don't believe for one minute that "breathable waders" "breath" when wading. They sort of work when walking about, but once in the water, forget it :)

but then sometimes i see big bubbles come up. what could it be ?  :lol

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 30/05/2012 at 11:15 »
but then sometimes i see big bubbles come up. what could it be ?  :lol

Carp?...and no..that was not a miss spelling ;)

There is nothing worse than "passing wind" when up to your chest in water and then being subjected to the smell once you remove your waders..lol

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 30/05/2012 at 11:17 »
Actually, talking of smells, a Pike fishing buddy of mine was using neprene waders to wade out into the freezing water to cast, and then wade back. Sitting around in wet neoprene means you get cold quick...so..having remembered the advice to "pee in your wetsuit to stay warm"...he proceeded to pee in his waders!

danbruce

« Reply #8 on: 30/05/2012 at 21:33 »
Cheers Marc, Rob and Toshkerr,

Loads to choose from will probably go for one of the pairs you guys have suggested.
Have to say the patagonia ones look great and if Marcs are still going strong after 4 years they must be damn hard wearing.

Thanks again,

Dan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com