Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

a sedge the size of a sledge...
« on: 30/05/2012 at 14:15 »
tired of squinting at delicate dries, I tied a few beast sized sedge types this morning. size 12 dohiku, grizzle cock palmered body hackle, CDC wing, longer grizzle throat hackle.

they look huge, and straggly, and this one even has devil horns.

Rob Brownfield

Re: a sedge the size of a sledge...
« Reply #1 on: 30/05/2012 at 17:11 »
Pah...tiz but a nipper!

Some big sedges coming off last night...I need to tie some beasts myself as the biggest dry I had with me last night was a size 20 Paradun as for the past week they have been taking tiny flies.

Travelling light was a bad idea as all my "proper" sized flies were at home :(

Marc Fauvet

« Reply #2 on: 30/05/2012 at 17:15 »
great bug that'll do the trick !
'funny how big in one part of the world can be rather small in another. up north here (Sweden) they're using similar ties in 8, 6 and 4 sized hooks. so much for the 3wt...   :X1

cheers,
marc

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 30/05/2012 at 19:07 »
Nice one Iain, that'll catch fish :z16

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 31/05/2012 at 16:10 »
Hi Ian,
nice fly. If I may I'd add only that if these are to be used at proper dark O' Clock then I'd be happier if the wing were of deerhair or something that I knew would still be afloat even after being allowed to 'swing' after a cast or two.

I tied EXACTLY the same fly a couple of seasons ago but in grey, cinammon & brown Aerowing patterns. These caught a lot of fish and never sank, don't look as nice as yours but I guess the silhouette was still ok to the fish.

Everyone needs good Sedge patterns  :z16

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com